• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What makes ER collets good quality?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've used these Collet Nuts with internal bearing for decades.

Can you take the nut off for us and take a photo of the bearing? No rush. I'm just curious about it cuz I've never seen a nut with a bearing in it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry - mine don't come apart. I did find this rendering on Ali that shows how the Chinese knock-offs are assembled.

Oh my! I'm sure glad you didn't take it apart! Cuz that's not what I meant at all. I meant to take it off the arbour and remove the collet and try and take some inside photos. If I had a bearing nut and someone asked me to take it apart for them, I prolly wouldn't be as polite as you are!

I get the drift from the Ali photo though. Looks like there is only a flat ball bearing between two flat races in there. This begs the question of how concentricity is maintained.....

I assume the reason for the bearing is to facilitate additional tightening torque on the nut and thereby tighten the collet taper better.

I also assume that's only meaningful with big endmills, because you run up against the maximum holding limits of the R8 taper and pin itself at some point. But of course, that assumes its R8 and not 40 or whatever.

Very interesting! Thanks for digging up the photos. Much appreciated!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh my! I'm sure glad you didn't take it apart! Cuz that's not what I meant at all. I meant to take it off the arbour and remove the collet and try and take some inside photos. If I had a bearing nut and someone asked me to take it apart for them, I prolly wouldn't be as polite as you are!

I get the drift from the Ali photo though. Looks like there is only a flat ball bearing between two flat races in there. This begs the question of how concentricity is maintained.....

I assume the reason for the bearing is to facilitate additional tightening torque on the nut and thereby tighten the collet taper better.

I also assume that's only meaningful with big endmills, because you run up against the maximum holding limits of the R8 taper and pin itself at some point. But of course, that assumes its R8 and not 40 or whatever.

Here's a picture of the inside of my colet nut. My holder is a "Oz 25" but I think all collet holder nuts are similar? 20230403_105401.jpg

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I believe all bearing nuts will look to have two parts looking from the front, and the purpose, I believe is so that when you tighten the outer ring, the inner ring which bears onto the front taper of the collet doesn't rotate with the outer ring. So less wear on the collet and collet nut, and collet chuck pocket, and possibly more even clamping forces.

Attachments

• 20230403_133321.jpg
    20230403_133321.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I believe is so that when you tighten the outer ring, the inner ring which bears onto the front taper of the collet doesn't rotate with the outer ring. So less wear on the collet and collet nut, and collet chuck pocket, and possibly more even clamping forces.

Didn't think about collet and nut wear. Makes GREAT SENSE. Way more sense than just tightening force.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here's a picture of the inside of my colet nut. My holder is a "Oz 25" but I think all collet holder nuts are similar?

My ERs are very similar. I was wondering about the nuts that have bearings. But I think my curiosity is satisfied.