What kind of bits are these?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I picked up a few lots in an auction this week. There was lots of decent machinist stuff and, for a change, the lots were generally not too big and not too small. One of the slightly bigger lots that I won, included the following:

Foredom collets bits annotated.jpg

Obviously, there is a set of Foredom rotary tool collets. Based on that, I wonder if some of the groups are for that?

The group in box 1 are all 4-flute cutters. The bigger ones have a 3/16" shank. The smaller have a 1/8" shank. No flat on the shanks. Marked "P&W" and the shank size.

In Box 2, they are again 4-flute but have a 1/4" shank with a 'Weldon-type' flat. Box 3 have apparently the same shank but are 2-flute (non-center cutting) bits. No visible markings.

Box 4 appears to be end mills but they have a really short shank (3/8" dia, about 3/4" long). Faintly marked, maybe 'JMC'? The double-ended cutter to the right also has a really small shank area in the middle. Marked "P&W 1/8" Are these OK to use in a milling machine?

All of the above appear to be HSS.

I'm planning to sell the collets and any bits that ought to go with it. Anybody interested?

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
Did you get the business end of the Foredom?
Nope. I don't recall seeing one listed but I didn't have that on my radar. This lot was kind of a conglomeration. This was the main picture in the listing:

362_001.jpeg

I thought it was worth taking a chance on for $16. The Gits oilers seemed like a good thing to have in stock.

BTW, the thing in the upper right of the picture is an L.S. Starret measuring tool apparently for inside bores. I'd never seen one like it before.

Craig

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
score!

Most of those look like engraver bits, CNC router. I have a very small one and the bits are often left-hand spiral (#2 group). They’re designed to push the chips down so the face of the cut doesnt get shredded

The two bits between #2 and #3 are some variation of this style

trlvn

Ultra Member
score!

Most of those look like engraver bits, CNC router. I have a very small one and the bits are often left-hand spiral (#2 group). They’re designed to push the chips down so the face of the cut doesnt get shredded

The two bits between #2 and #3 are some variation of this style

I wondered about CNC. Do they typically use Weldon-style flats?

BTW, I have to admit that I apparently can't count to 5--the group of bits in Box 2 actually have 5 (five) flutes, not 4. :oops: They are spiralled to push chips down and out of the cutter.

When you say "engraver bits", are they really used for stuff like lettering?

Thanks,

Craig

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I wondered about CNC. Do they typically use Weldon-style flats?

BTW, I have to admit that I apparently can't count to 5--the group of bits in Box 2 actually have 5 (five) flutes, not 4. :oops: They are spiralled to push chips down and out of the cutter.

When you say "engraver bits", are they really used for stuff like lettering?

Thanks,

Craig
The bits in #1 look exactly like the ones I use in my little crappy CNC engraver. I don't think Ive seen one with a weldon shaft, but this might be used in the bigger commercial engravers.