Tips/Techniques What is your favourite part of a project?

Tips/Techniques

What is your favourite part of a project?

• 0-20% Design phase, and major problem solving

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • 20-70% Component making and mild assembly

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • 70-90% Assembly and making it functional

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • 90-100% final finish, minor kinks, and cosmetics

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Tom O

Ultra Member
I forgot another category, and that's parts and component sourcing. On bigger projects that can be quite an adventure sometimes. Solved easily with money, but not all of us have endless bank accounts, so then you have to scour the classifieds, and auctions. Do some digging for the deals, or maybe drywall a few basements along the way.

I have a few projects that are quite a few years in the making because I just buy components and material when I find them for cheap. That's a pretty enjoyable part of the process for me. It's not always about the end goal, it's the journey and the process, and eventually being able to step back and say "I made that. I designed and built that with my two hands".
Then the Son comes along calling it clutter and tosses it out while your not looking.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well he is getting a little better last time he let me look! If I was a dick I’d remind him of the basement where his stuff has been stored since moving years ago or the treadmill he took downstairs and took apart last year.

Tecnico

(Dave)
lol, I was just digging through my pics to load into another thread and was catching the dates on some of the other projects I still have on the go.....

Yeah, like that would never happen in my shop…………:rolleyes:

I think I could tic most/all of the choices except the last finish and painting….oh, wait I need to do that on my current treadmill powered drill press project. :D

D :cool:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yeah, like that would never happen in my shop…………:rolleyes:

I think I could tic most/all of the choices except the last finish and painting….oh, wait I need to do that on my current treadmill powered drill press project. :D

What would you paint?

What randomly popped into my head was the treadmill is on the floor anyway, and if you want to do high speed drilling with the drill press you have to be running or at least jogging on the belt to transfer the speed to the drill press spindle. It will probably get really dirty so why paint?

I think I'd rather connect my dog to a rotary pedestal and have her chase a fake bunny around in a circle and pull the power off that. Having to run on the tread mill and drill a whole seems so.. well.. difficult..

Oh yes and...;)

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Yay! My vote put us 20%ers in the lead!
Things I would add to the poll.
Tearing things apart for the scrap bin and wondering ”what can I use this for?”
Looking through my scrap bin rather than going to buy stuff.

what I dislike, finding something in the scrap bin after I went and bought stuff.

It will likely never happen again but I PAINTED the snow tire rack I made from the frame of a junked weight machine

Tecnico

(Dave)
What would you paint?

What randomly popped into my head was the treadmill is on the floor anyway, and if you want to do high speed drilling with the drill press you have to be running or at least jogging on the belt to transfer the speed to the drill press spindle. It will probably get really dirty so why paint?

I think I'd rather connect my dog to a rotary pedestal and have her chase a fake bunny around in a circle and pull the power off that. Having to run on the tread mill and drill a whole seems so.. well.. difficult..

Oh yes and...;)

Ummm….. I think someone already patented that rig for a butterchurn………but the paint would make cleaning up the butter less messy. Of course you could just let the dog clean up afterward!

1703355682395.jpeg

Uh-oh, I just got “the look” from my dog, she’s threatening to call in the SPCA or at least her union rep for better working conditions, the treat to work level isn’t right!. ;)

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
design and purchasing then it gets stored for 1 year b4 it moves any further..
That used to be a big part of my problem. Shelving something while I'm waiting for parts to come in. My workbench downstairs has about 7-8 projects on it, with the parts I ordered, waiting for reassembly. Take something apart, figure out what's wrong, order the parts, then chuck the parts on top of it while I continue working on something else I started in the meanwhile. I eventually get back around to it, and knock them out in groups. Sometimes I laugh at how little time it takes to actually finish those projects vs how long they've sat in limbo......It's a hell of a ratio......

I'm getting better though. Not sure if it's actually steps I've taken to better prioritize my time, or the constant work at making my shop(s) more organized, and easier to work in, and finish stuff. But there has been big progress over the last couple years. Now, If I only had a paint booth.....Maybe I need to make a paint shed.....hmmm.