Tool What is this type of ruler called?

Tool

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Some expansion - the end is carbide, the scales are in metric and imperial, and have decent vernier scales. I use it to lay out electronic panels.Set it for Y dimensions, run it along the edge of the panel, scribe for holes, set at X dimension, run it along the perpendicular edge, scribe for cross hairs, and now all my switch and control holes are even and true. Way less errors than using a ruler.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Some expansion - the end is carbide, the scales are in metric and imperial, and have decent vernier scales. I use it to lay out electronic panels.Set it for Y dimensions, run it along the edge of the panel, scribe for holes, set at X dimension, run it along the perpendicular edge, scribe for cross hairs, and now all my switch and control holes are even and true. Way less errors than using a ruler.
I use a combination square now but find that it's cumbersome and the narrow end of the ruler doesn't lend itself to making accurate marks.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Bought one of the rules from Lee Valley.
I have to say that I am seriously impressed by the quality.
The body is a solid 1/8” thick and the sliding portion has to be 1/4” think. The locking knob is well knurled and locks solid.
A very impressive tool for <$30.
IMG_1149.jpeg IMG_1150.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm a bit late to this, but I think that has to be a steel copy of the original engineers "slide rule". It was prolly made before logarithmic and trigonomic scaling was developed.

Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself. Just kidding.

But seriously, when I took engineering, they didn't have scientific calculators so we all had slide rules. I still have mine some odd 55 years later.

Keuffel_and_Esser-Model_4181-1_Log_log_Duplex_Decitrig_slide_rule-IMG_5821-white_(cropped).jpg

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I missed the slide rule. Curiosity got the better of me so I watched a quick video, I'm guessing your generation of engineers were pretty comfortable with logarithms. Perhaps I should get one just for giggles when a non engineering type is visiting;-)

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm guessing your generation of engineers were pretty comfortable with logarithms. Perhaps I should get one just for giggles when a non engineering type is visiting;-)

Yup. As well as exponents, trigonometry, significant digits, and extrapolation. SlideRulers were cool. I think Engineers got a bad rep wearing big sliderulers on a belt clip. Sure caught my wife's attention!

I still have mine but prefer an HP15C RPN Scientific Calculator now. I even have a clone of the 15C running on my Android Smartphone.

Martin w

I'm a bit late to this, but I think that has to be a steel copy of the original engineers "slide rule". It was prolly made before logarithmic and trigonomic scaling was developed.

Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself. Just kidding.

But seriously, when I took engineering, they didn't have scientific calculators so we all had slide rules. I still have mine some odd 55 years later.

View attachment 46347
I always wanted to learn how to use a slide rule.

Perry

Ultra Member
My electronic teacher back in the day made us use one. Calculators were already coming along at a fast pace. In fact I would carry a Tandy Pocket Computer (TRS-80 which was basically a rebranded Sharp PC-1211 for the poor kids) and a slide rule to his class. lol. I'm sure I taught him a few things, but I learned a lot from that instructor that has carried me thru the years. It would be nice to hunt him down and explain how he made a big difference in my life. :)

I know my mom got rid of my slide rule after I moved out. I do miss it.

pocketcomputer.jpg

Edit. The other picture didn't look right. This is correct. Says it came out in 1980, but I know I had one in 1979.

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Slide Rules were even before my time and I started programming computers with punch cards in the 1980s.
Back to present day . . .

Digital devices are getting more advanced everyday.

The smartphone has become such an essential tool for technology that at my last fulltime job at Flowserve SIHI Systems (2014-2018) all staff of Engineering Projects were issued I-Phones.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Am I really that old? I’ve had the abacus since I was 10, before TI and HP started selling calculators. And I still use the ITT slide rule to quickly select control valves, it’s faster than using the manufacturers sizing software.

IMG_7193.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7194.jpeg
    IMG_7194.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 4

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
As for the slide rule. Wife bought me one a couple years ago for a birthday present. Aside form playing around briefly, I never really gave it a solid chance to learn it.

I do love the slide calculators though. I have a bunch of different types from speed and feed calculators to bolt sizing. I should lay them out and make a thread about them. I'm curious to see who else has a bunch too.

Last edited: