• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Machine What is the swing of your lathe?

Machine

Simple question. What is the swing of your lathe?

• Less than 5

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 5-8

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • 9-11

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • 12-14

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • 15-17

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • 18-20

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 20-22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • greater than 22

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Simple question,
What is the swing of your lathe?
Please answer in terms of diameter and in Inches (mm/25.4=inches)
If you have more than one lathe you can answer up to three times. If you have more than three lathes, you suck, answer for the three you use most often.
Enquiring minds want to know!

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
BTW, if this is about sizing your knurler....
The max distance from the toolpost to the spindle center can vary for lathes of the same nominal swing, I think. Quite a few 7x lathes have been modified to extend the cross-slide travel to get the tool 'out' farther.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
About the toolpost to center distance:
My 7x14 microlux lathe with OXA toolpost and extended cross slide mod is maximum 3.2" from the front of the toolpost to the spindle center.
My 10x24 Logan 210 lathe with AXA toolpost is 2.9" 3.5" maximum with the compound turned parallel to the ways and the toolpost slid out in the compound slot.

Craig: Please: what's the distance required for the Gray knurler, and what's that measurement on your 9x22 lathe?

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig: Please: what's the distance required for the Gray knurler, and what's that measurement on your 9x22 lathe?

Max distance from spindle center to the front of a standard AXA tool holder is 2.9" on my 9X22. I probably gained 1/4" modifying the DG tool which pretty much made it spot on. I gained another 3/8" modifying a tool holder.

I probably didn't need to mod the tool holder but I didn't like having the x-slide maxed out while using the knurler.

Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks for those numbers. With the 1/4" mod to make it 'spot on' could you knurl a small diameter piece? The stock DG tool needs about 3.2" from the toolholder to the center, it seems. And that wouldn't allow advancing the knurler on to the work- it would have to come over the end of the workpiece (from the right-hand side), I guess.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks for those numbers. The stock DG tool needs about 3.2" from the toolholder to the center, it seems.

Ya, that sounds about right. It's not something you'll want to throw on a 7X12 that's for sure. The 5/8" shank size kind of points to AXA sized machines or greater.

@D. Gray Drafting & Design

Before I fill out your vote I have one lathe and 4 swing dimensions depending on where measured is going to raise some questions for you.

12" is how its list (over bed) this is the standard for giving lathe swings (used in conjection with Center to Center length, ie 12x36 lathe)

7" over cross slide very important to know when to you are turning longer work ie Knurling or turning shafts

17" thru the gap if I need to remove it for short large dia work.

Finally,

1-7/16" thru spindle as this allows extremely long or specialized work.

It is important to under the differences as when you pick a lathe, you can greatly limit yourself but only focusing on the standard number, swing over bed.

My reason for recent upgrade was for the spindle bore, minimum bed length and features (this last one was a more of a want vs need).

o_O:cool:

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
Max distance from spindle center to the front of a standard AXA tool holder is 2.9" on my 9X22. I probably gained 1/4" modifying the DG tool which pretty much made it spot on. I gained another 3/8" modifying a tool holder.

I probably didn't need to mod the tool holder but I didn't like having the x-slide maxed out while using the knurler.
On my lathe, I gain about 1.3 inches from centre just by reversing the compound, ala:

IMG_4683 compound reversed.jpg

Note that my compound can still be cranked 'out' from centre by over 2 inches. On my 10 inch lathe, I can get the edge of the tool post more than 5.5 inches from centre. I happened to have the 4-way toolpost on the lathe right when i set this up. If anything, I think I can get the QCTP even a little further from centre.

Craig in Oakville
(Yes, if I actually had a 10 inch workpiece, it would be hitting the compound in that particular orientation.)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Simple question,
What is the swing of your lathe?
Please answer in terms of diameter and in Inches (mm/25.4=inches)
If you have more than one lathe you can answer up to three times. If you have more than three lathes, you suck, answer for the three you use most often.
Enquiring minds want to know!

It's an interesting question and a good insight into the general makeup of the active membership. It will be interesting to see how many members vote.

Can I assume that your primary interest is understanding the business case for another size model of your knurler? Note that I am not opposed to that goal and in fact I think it's quite worthy. The info might be useful for other vendors too. And of course the members ultimately benefit from the availability of a wider range of available kits.

Btw, you might consider a cut knurler kit too...... Perhaps even one licensed from our own @Mcgyver.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
So my CX-701 is advertised as a 12x28, but practically it's more like an 11.5...so I answered 12 still, but really could have gone in the one size lower.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So my CX-701 is advertised as a 12x28, but practically it's more like an 11.5...so I answered 12 still, but really could have gone in the one size lower.

I think that's the right call. If I understand the OP's intent, what really matters for this survey is the tool holder size and limits.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Active online or active in the shop? :)
It would be interesting to see those numbers from different forums, too.

I would assume both. Basically, though, they need to be fairly active online to complete the survey. But my own main interest would be in the shop.