• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What does a hydraulic follower accessory do & what are they worth

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hey I see a lathe for sale, about 3500 more than a similar lathe, but the lathe in question comes with a hydraulic follower.

I have no idea how they work, and am only guessing what they do. Can someone explain and give me a typical value? It's comes with a colchester Master 2500 13x40 lathe.

Hacker

Super User
I have a tracer on my lathe and use it occasionally. Where I find it handy is making multiple parts. For one offs too much time spent on setup or making the pattern. As far as the price I can't help you there as there are different levels of tracers. Mine was installed from the factory and works well. If this is an add on, they can have the power unit taking up some premium space in your shop. Personally I think that a 3500 premium is too much.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have a tracer on my lathe and use it occasionally. Where I find it handy is making multiple parts. For one offs too much time spent on setup or making the pattern. As far as the price I can't help you there as there are different levels of tracers. Mine was installed from the factory and works well. If this is an add on, they can have the power unit taking up some premium space in your shop. Personally I think that a 3500 premium is too much.
Thanks for the feedback. That was my impression as well. It does have a separate power unit too

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Kind of like a taper attachment but will follow irregular lines (candle stick maybe ?) Hydraulic stylus Follows a pattern, reproduces it on workpiece. One was advertised on Calgary Kijiji a couple years ago, 3 phase motor, pump, tank, stylus, hoses, all in, asking $400. I almost bit but didn't, kind of regret it now.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Keith Fenner Turn Wright Machine Works on You Tube has one and has posted videos using it if you want to see one in action. It would be great for profiling rifle barrels.