What design software are you guys using?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hello,

So I have access to AutoCad LT at work and previously had AutoCad as a stand alone on my computer until they changed things and companies want "subscriptions" for using software. This doesn't at all work for me as a pretty mobile guy with sometimes spotty internet. I really have become disenchanted with paying monthly fees for things that may or may not be used. Welding gas bottle for Mig (just one larger one) is an exception because it is pretty cheap and very cool for welding stuff.....anyway.....

When away from the ol' office for the month I sometimes have a need to sit and design out some things or modify a drawing of a part or two. Is there something out there that some folks are using that is a free or one time purchase that can do some similar AutoCad features? I am not much into the 3D part of design as I can pretty much read the matrix into a 2D drawing and be ok with that.

Any thoughts or programs that you love to use?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Fusion 360 is free and works ok. It has some glitches and allot of clutter that isn't needed for manufacturing. But it can definitely get you from design to finished product eventually.

TheLocalDrunk

Ive used a bunch of the free stuff and settled on Fusion360
In the world of "free" it was the most stable and generated the least amount of swear words from me ;)

Brent H

Ultra Member
Thanks for the replies, I will check out the Fusion 360. I downloaded NanoCad 5.0 to see how it is. So far a lot like AutoCad 2006 so I am able to get drawing things pretty fast - I will see how the Fusion compares

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I use AlibreCAD and AlibreCAM. I have the 4 axis license for AlibreCAM which is just MECSOFT CAM tightly coupled to AlibreCAM,
One of the things I like about Alibre is that it can generate the 3D PDF files. Click on the image and you can then rotate/resize it and view it. I also have stayed with it for the sheet metal feature. It used to be less expensive. Now there's a lite version. There's been a series of articles in Model Engineer's Workshop about it.