Welcome aboard!

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Greetings from Maryland ! Recently retired from machining/toolmaking after 48 years . My son and DIL lived up in Toronto for 3 years on Blue Jays Way . This past August we moved them out to Calgary . Spent 5 weeks traveling and moving them in . They are 5 minutes away from Dabbler ! How wild is that ? Made it to John's place and he has been to my son's place a few times already . Plan on coming out to Calgary at least a few times a year now . Will be coming out for maybe a month during Stampede time this year and looking forward to meeting many new like minded junk collectors like myself ! Dave . mmcmdl

Already have met or known many of your members here also . Thanks for welcoming me aboard .

Last edited:
Thanks Dave . Glad to be here and I'll behave ........I promise ! :D
...... well, with that kind of attitude, your going to be the odd man out I am afraid. Most of us can't stay on topic and we love digging into each other's wallets and throwing a little money around..
But, welcome to the forum anyway, from Lillooet BC.

mmcmdl

...... well, with that kind of attitude, your going to be the odd man out I am afraid.
Dave and Dab know me well enough to know I'm full of BS . :rolleyes: Thanks for the welcome . I love and repair/restore old tractors down here also . Sometimes they even run when I'm done :D!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Dave and Dab know me well enough to know I'm full of BS . :rolleyes: Thanks for the welcome . I love and repair/restore old tractors down here also . Sometimes they even run when I'm done :D!

Welcome from a farmer in Ontario. I grow rocks and fix tractors and farm machinery too. What don't you have yet that you don't think you need that I can help you decide to buy? I'm really good at creating a business case for almost anything.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome aboard Dave.
I grew up on farms in South Western Ontario, worked as a machinist for a few years, studied mechanical design eventually developed process equipment for a career.
Are you near DC ?

mmcmdl

Thank you both ! Little story , well , maybe a long story . My son told us to leave Toronto early in the AM to avoid traffic having the truck and trailer . My son was going to leave the same time but got tied up for 4 hours . Wife puts Calgary in the GPS and off we go with loaded truck and packed to the gills trailer . Driving for 3 hours and start seeing signs for Detroit ???? WTH ? We took the wrong turn at Albquerkie :rolleyes: I guess and were going down 401 instead of going up 400 . The GPS was taking us back across the border which would;ve taken hrs if not days to get thru . Had to turn around , go all the way back to Toronto to pick up 401 . :mad: It was raining it's ***** off that night , couldn't see nothing going around the lake . Ended up following a tractor trailer for over 2 hours just to be able to know where the road was . Pulled into Kenora at 2.30 AM . It was a 7hr. detour , way down below London where we U-turned . My son arrived in Kenora 3 hours before us . What a night . After that first day/night , everything was excellent the entire trip across to Calgary . Beautiful open country . Love the little rock structures people built along the highway . Well probably re-trace this trip this summer .

mmcmdl

Son's view from his Toronto home . His new place . And finally my place with my favorite beverage !

Attachments

• IMG_9874.JPG
    IMG_9874.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9875.JPG
    IMG_9875.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9876.JPG
    IMG_9876.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9933.JPG
    IMG_9933.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9929.JPG
    IMG_9929.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9938.JPG
    IMG_9938.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8918.JPG
    IMG_8918.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 10

Perry

Ultra Member
Welcome to the club. :) Perry in Calgary.

You mention Blue Jays Way. I spent a few years in Toronto. Lived just east of High Park in Roncesvalles. Got to watch them build Rogers Centre. I use to bike down there and check it out most days. Good memories.

P.

mmcmdl

You mention Blue Jays Way.
Yep , they lived right next to the stadium and tower . I was there 2 years ago at the end of the baseball season . The Jays had to win this last game to get to the playoffs . They were up 10-0 and ended up losing 11-10 . I was sitting out on his patio 19 floors up watching the fans coming down the road . That was a loud roudy crowd . The in-laws are still up there in an old expensive section . It's an old well known name around Toronto . Family money .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Love the little rock structures people built along the highway .

Perhaps you know what they are, perhaps you don't. They are called "Inukshuks". The Inuit peoples of the Canadian Arctic used piles of rock to leave messages to other people who might pass by at some later time in the future. They might tell of food resources, good hunting, shelter, or danger. In this way people were connected across time to help make each other's lives better.

Today they are widely used by Canadians all over Canada to communicate our openness to connections, and to wish others good health, and prosperity.

Of course there are also those who just like rock piles.....

mmcmdl

Oh wow ! That's cool . I'll have to tell the wife this , we all wondered who built these . They went the entire way across Canada ............................and that's a damn long road . :)

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hope you made it to Calgary.
The shortest way from Toronto is actually VIA the 401 then 402 to Sarnia-Port Huron and North to the lakehead. I went out West with a couple school buddies in 1984 and it took us 28 hours from London to Lethbridge (Just South of Calgary).

There are a wide range of experiences in this group of metalheads.
Everybody likes to shares put their thoughts and opinions !!