We had some visitors this afternoon...

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If those are bush bunnies keep them away from your vehicles. Little buggers love to chew on the wiring, it can get expensive.

My wife hates these buggers! They eat up her garden! I've had to convince her that a cross bow to shoot rabbits with is too dangerous in a city residential area!!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My wife hates these buggers! They eat up her garden! I've had to convince her that a cross bow to shoot rabbits with is too dangerous in a city residential area!!!

Just get a cat thrower......

Seriously, I used to snare them back when snaring was legal. But the principal still works. They are easily trapped by making choke runs like you would for a snare, then once they are used to the chokes, insert a live trap and chase them into it. Only install the traps when there is a rabbit there to chase.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
We still have a lot of green spaces and wildlife here in Kitchener.
Rabbits, Racoons, Coyotes . . .
I used to see a Deer wander up to our backyard from the ponds, but, not for a few years now.
Note:
To keep those rabbits away, put a few mothballs in your flowerbeds.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I used to see a Deer wander up to our backyard from the ponds, but, not for a few years now.
Note:

They don't really bother us, my wife loves them, as do most of the neighbours.

As for deer, we saw a mom and fawn in the back this weekend too:

348316231_6221697237865573_8512412764278351877_n.jpg

Note:
Where I live it is very much urban city and the only green space is along the near by escarpment and the nearby Red Hill Valley. I was shocked tho to discover that foxes and coyotes roam the streets in my neighbourhood on a regular basis at night when the people traffic is non existent. I imagine they are hunting for rabbits which have become a plague here. We've gone to a lot of trouble to fence off the garden to keep rabbits out but somehow they still manage to get in!

Squirrels and racoons seem to be more plentiful in the city than in the wilds. I think they find plenty of easy accommodation in peoples attics and garages! In general I love wildlife until it begins to damage my property. Racoons can be a serious biohazard if they take up residence in your buildings. And thats not to say anything about mice and rats. In recent years we've begun to see snakes around. So wild life seems to be reappearing. But this has both its up and down sides.

Ironman

Ultra Member
How do you help a cat catch a rabbit?
Let the cat out of the house?
Throw the rabbit at the cat?
Throw the cat at the rabbit?
Tie the rabbits legs together?
Shoot the rabbit first?
Chase the rabbit to cat?
No to all of the above. He did it himself. I just chased it towards him.

Attachments

• Rocky and rabbit 4.JPG
    Rocky and rabbit 4.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 5

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Ha ha, made me snicker, When I was a kid we lived in an old farm house built in 1911 that bats had taken up residence in the attic. They would scream and squeak all night keeping everybody awake... a farm neighbor told the old man to throw a bunch of moth ball into the attic and the bats would leave....dismal failure...I dont know how they did it but we could hear those bats rolling those balls around the ceiling making the problem worse.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ha ha, made me snicker, When I was a kid we lived in an old farm house built in 1911 that bats had taken up residence in the attic. They would scream and squeak all night keeping everybody awake... a farm neighbor told the old man to throw a bunch of moth ball into the attic and the bats would leave....dismal failure...I dont know how they did it but we could hear those bats rolling those balls around the ceiling making the problem worse.
My aged mother-in-law was told to use mothballs around her outside perimeter of her house for mouse control. She puts out these little packets of mothballs that disintegrate in very short time and leaves nothing but the little "candy wrappers" blowing around. I doubt the mothballs have any effect on the mice except for the few square inches around the mothballs while they last.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No to all of the above.

Hmmmmm...... Read my last one again. "Chase the rabbit to cat?" Sounds a lot like:

I just chased it towards him.

I made that the last one on purpose cuz I figured that's what you did. The rest were just funning with you!

Truth is I've seen cats catch full grown rabbits before. Often without help. A cat is a natural born killing machine.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It is the smell that the ‘rabbits’ never did like.
We have used mothballs or a smelly gray pesticide that used to get mixed in with seed corn during planting.
Not sure if it would work for ‘Bats’.