Tips/Techniques Ways Accordian DIY

Tips/Techniques

KeeponDragon

Super User
I'm pleased with this quick, cheap, n easy solution to chips n swarf from building up...
Basically, all that makes this up is an economic window blind, and rubberized undercoating...
The blind is made from a thick paper thats flexible and fibrous. I think it was 25$.
I cut it to length n width after coating it. While the peaks aren't sealed well, the coating lets the cutting fluids drip off to the side. It does require magnets to attach, and a few tig rod size weights to hold it down. It works though.

if this isn't the right section admins...please move it...I looked n couldn't find a spot

Attachments

• 20221203_102003.jpg
    20221203_102003.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221203_101937.jpg
    20221203_101937.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 22

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
if this isn't the right section admins...please move it...I looked n couldn't find a spot

It wasn't really bad where you had it. But since you asked for help, I moved it to machine talk, mills and lathes, tips and techniques.

Nice job!

I am still using paper towels and rags. There is very little space left when my table is at either extreme of Y. I'd love to find a better permanent solution. Even bulk treadmill belt doesn't work. Best so far is HD cloth.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I'm pleased with this quick, cheap, n easy solution to chips n swarf from building up...
Basically, all that makes this up is an economic window blind, and rubberized undercoating...
The blind is made from a thick paper thats flexible and fibrous. I think it was 25$.
I cut it to length n width after coating it. While the peaks aren't sealed well, the coating lets the cutting fluids drip off to the side. It does require magnets to attach, and a few tig rod size weights to hold it down. It works though.

Interesting. That material reminds me of the accordion pleat material in a furnace filter only the pleats are quite a bit higher in yours.

D:cool:

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
after pricing accordion way cover, I checked truck tarp material. The stuff used on grain trucks. it's thin and very tough. Seems to resist oil and chips wipe off pretty well. Nice part is that I got 3' x 3' for $5 from the place I got my truck tarp from. Cut to fit with lots left over.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
after pricing accordion way cover, I checked truck tarp material. The stuff used on grain trucks. it's thin and very tough. Seems to resist oil and chips wipe off pretty well. Nice part is that I got 3' x 3' for $5 from the place I got my truck tarp from. Cut to fit with lots left over.

I'm slowly drifting your way. Still can't figure out how to do an accordian cover. Cloth might have to work.

Btw, accordian is cheap on Ali. Just can't figure out how to make it work.

KeeponDragon

Super User
I was pricing it out on Ali as well...but I couldn't justify paying the shipping when it's 5 times the cost of the cover...
Tarp material would work for sure. I sell those dump truck n trailer tarps at my work.
I wonder if the better 3/4's clothing iron would "press" pleats into the material?
can you tell it's not that busy at work...I'm here...checking out my new favorite forum lol

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I was pricing it out on Ali as well...but I couldn't justify paying the shipping when it's 5 times the cost of the cover...
Tarp material would work for sure. I sell those dump truck n trailer tarps at my work.
I wonder if the better 3/4's clothing iron would "press" pleats into the material?
can you tell it's not that busy at work...I'm here...checking out my new favorite forum lol
I don’t know what your tarp material is like, flatbed tarps are fairly flexible (when warm :mad:). I bet if you cut 2” wide straps, then made them into a stack. You could sew alternating long edges to make it into an accordion facsimile. Whether it’s stiff enough would be the test

Aliva

Super User
The link i posted shows the product and shipping is free. But the size might not be what you can use, I'm sure it can be cut to size

I'm slowly drifting your way. Still can't figure out how to do an accordian cover. Cloth might have to work.

Btw, accordian is cheap on Ali. Just can't figure out how to make it work.
Very simple crazy glue a thin pc of sheet metal to the flap (to keep it align) bolt it on to pinch it to the surface. That's how they do it on machines.

I did my mill the between the bed and column to keep the fine cuttings out only sacrificing maybe 3/8" of travel.

I'm not a fan of soft way covers on lathes other than solid ones, as they can snag and all hell breaks out. This one of those it never happens until it does and it tend to be major. Sort of like key left in chuck, sooner or later somethings going to happen.

There are a lot of old lathes out there that never had them and are still ok after decades of use and abuse.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Very simple crazy glue a thin pc of sheet metal to the flap (to keep it align) bolt it on to pinch it to the surface. That's how they do it on machines.

I did my mill the between the bed and column to keep the fine cuttings out only sacrificing maybe 3/8" of travel.

Between the column and table is easy. It's the other side at the hand wheel that is NFG. When the table is full forward, there is nothing there!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here's mine, all the way forward vs all the way back

Attachments

• 16708182839887599515256966876842.jpg
    16708182839887599515256966876842.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 16708183186208324897859670564702.jpg
    16708183186208324897859670564702.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 16708183696356150373089052584758.jpg
    16708183696356150373089052584758.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 16708184001327964677998802138983.jpg
    16708184001327964677998802138983.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 14

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I would try two materials. Together.

On the outside I'd use bookbinder's cloth. On the inside I'd use strips of cardboard, affixed to the cloth with spray adhesive. The cardboard makes the accordion stiffer so it folds better. The bookbinding cloth is strong, and durable under continued folding and unfolding. It will absorb the rubberized coating well too.

I have a roll of book binding cloth, I'm going to see how much I have and am willing to share with people. I no long bind photo albums or books of engravings, so this is surplus.

Between the column and table is easy. It's the other side at the hand wheel that is NFG. When the table is full forward, there is nothing there!
Think outside the box. A little "z" type bracket to give you enough space to extend the running surface (did that initial when I added the cnc) as it didn't cover the dials. Found though that I needed coverage over the servo flood coolant and a lot more scarf created quickly, so it became a 2pc sliding hard cover at that point, that extend outwards covering the servo.

Z (knee) also had a accordion cover but found it sagged and reduced space in the Y travel (remember I have limited traval here), so it also became a second 2pc sliding hard cover acting was the one fasten point for the inside point (column) fasten point of the Y accordion cover.

While I may claim brilliance, this took several months of pain staking dead ends to come up with a solution.

I just about have my compact removable enclosure solution build (version 3) as the mill occasionally does duty as a precision drill station and the enclosure is in the way.

CNC and flood coolant creates lots of chips and mess quickly. I think CNC stands for Chip's N more Chip's.

Little foot note if you have the space hard covers are the best solution.