• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Waterjet

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
ohh "remediation", that must be the biggest scam going......take the "contaminated" soil, dump it in piles as "fill" 100km away, !Magic! no more "contamination", and a big fat bill to go with it

BaitMaster

Super User
ohh "remediation", that must be the biggest scam going......take the "contaminated" soil, dump it in piles as "fill" 100km away, !Magic! no more "contamination", and a big fat bill to go with it
The politicians need to own company’s that do SOMETHING!

You wouldn’t want them to starve on the streets would you?

Bandit

Ultra Member
Hmm, sounds like politishions all go to Ottawa for a reason and there is a bill to go with it!
The old saw" the solution to pollution, is dilution".
Or keep all the contamination in one place, sealed up.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The politicians need to own company’s that do SOMETHING!

Fat chance of that. These wankers have never done anything worthwhile, in fact as a manufacturer you are public enemy number 1. Unless you are really big, then you get 10's of millions of corporate welfare, your tax dollars, so the wankers can get some headlines out of it. I like manufacturing, but it would have been a lot smarter of me to say in professional services. The government likes people who shuffle paper.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The main reason the government helps big companies is to keep them in Canada. Other countries compete to have them because nobody doubts the overall benefit they provide to the economy. I'm not saying there are no weaknesses, just that the benefits are huge and so are the spinoff benefits. For every job in a big corporation, there are 3 in the support industry. Most of the money they do get gets spent on infrastructure and training where the government thinks everyone benefits in some way. Maybe so, maybe not. The devil is in the details.

But basically, it's all just economic competition on an international level.

Also, in my own experience, most of these programs are driven by the bureaucrats not the politicians. The politicos just show up for the photo ops while the bureaucrats stand in the background smiling about their growing empires and their pay raises.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I can see (large volume) slurries as being potentially problematic if they have potential to connect to aquifer systems. Maybe that's what its more about. In a dry state I would think sand, even different composition to what is local, is kind if a basic, inert ingredient prevalent in the earths surface no matter where you go. And to put the metal content into perspective, one has to wonder about the daily tons rusting infrastructure. But what do I know. Unrelated, but just finished this read. Not super technical, but touches on some of the issues. The processing & tailings & risks of lithium mining are... well lets just say, not so clean. Precious metal extraction, much, much worse. OK, best I stop here so it doesn't detract from the post subject.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i would think like suggested, dried up in a kitty pool, then bagged, shouldnt be much of a problem to get rid of for a garage guy, a full scale operation probably has significant issues

but my question is, how much media do you go through, and how much does the media cost ? i was under the impression you go through quite a bit of it, which brings up another issue of where do you get it, hopefully locally

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member

I dont think those numbers really tell the story for a hobbyist in Canada, I imagine those numbers are based on industrial pricing, buying a tote full or pallet at a time, getting power and water at reduced industrial use pricing, and of course in American dollars

i would like to hear from a small outfit or a guy with one in his garage/small shop what the costs are on a smaller scale, like who here is going to buy an entire pallet or tote of abrasive at a time, or get any breaks on power/water, and then the next question is how much work can it do in an hour for that cost ? how many inches through what thickness are those numbers based on

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The main reason the government helps big companies is to keep them in Canada. Other countries compete to have them because nobody doubts the overall benefit they provide to the economy. I'm not saying there are no weaknesses, just that the benefits are huge and so are the spinoff benefits. For every job in a big corporation, there are 3 in the support industry. Most of the money they do get gets spent on infrastructure and training where the government thinks everyone benefits in some way. Maybe so, maybe not. The devil is in the details.

But basically, it's all just economic competition on an international level.

Also, in my own experience, most of these programs are driven by the bureaucrats not the politicians. The politicos just show up for the photo ops while the bureaucrats stand in the background smiling about their growing empires and their pay raises.

Lots of experience, facts and logic to break that down, and being the clever sort that you are I hope one day to have the chance to convince you ..... but alas this is not the place.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Lots of experience, facts and logic to break that down, and being the clever sort that you are I hope one day to have the chance to convince you ..... but alas this is not the place.

Let's put it on our agenda for lunch or dinner on me. Hopefully here should you ever venture so far West. Your end is also possible but remote - too many relatives on my bride's side in your area. But never say never. A visit your way could happen too.

This said, would that really be our priority...... I doubt it!

Here on the forum is definitely not the place so I guess we should prolly just agree to disagree! Lots and lots of room for that on this subject!

Bandit

Ultra Member
As a side note, there are some water shore beaches in areas of the world that are black sand, and have high amounts of magnetic particles in the sand. I have been told, a conveyer with a magnetic end roller is used to separate the material. Very little processing on site required, load on ship and off to the smelter, China, Korea?
I don't see where cutting steel with water jet would be a large problem with byproduct, other materials possibly more so. The fumes from oxy-ac, plasma, and laser cutting are also problems as are some slag leftovers. Hell, even cuttings, shavings, grit, from lathe, mill, drill press, grinders could and do cause fires/melt downs of equipment, buildings. Can anyone say magnesium, or aluminum, iron grit/power! I am not saying "don't be worried about leftovers, just be aware of the effects, and concecences that maybe caused as we know them/learn of them.
Floride comes to mind, it may be a manufacturing leftover byproduct?, so put it in toothpaste, and feed it to the people! ( there appears to be some evidence ,it stripes calcium and possibly causes some cancers).
There seems to be a get rid of companies that manufacture (pollute),( send them to other places), policy.
Very few people want less these days, very few of the things we want these days cause little/no after effects or manufacturing after effects somewhere, some time.
Enough of that rant, any of the above maybe disagreed with, and is subject to possibly, only a little, or no knowlage.