• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Waterjet

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Oh I so want one. Luckily no room.

$10K USD
From what I've read, disposing of the wastewater is a bit of a challenge because it's full of abrasive and metal.

They have a pro model out now. 18K for that one. Higher pressure and such but the footprint is the same.

Those home brew EDM machines look really interesting. Much cheaper alternative? won't cut rock or anything non-conductive.

$10K USD
From what I've read, disposing of the wastewater is a bit of a challenge because it's full of abrasive and metal.
Fill a kiddie pool and let it evaporate? Have to put the lid on when it rains...

Because I'm such a CB I have pulped my documents to be shredded and am currently trying to dry it out on a tarp on top of the deck. Then I can easily shovel and dump it into the garbage. When it rains the kiddie pool goes back on top. Wikihow suggests putting bleach and water into a big garbage can to pulp and destroy docs - then what the hell do you do with a garbage can of bleach water? Not just wrong but bad advice. Article was written by a lawyer - arm chair tourist. not to insult the lawyers on here.... ;)

Fill a kiddie pool and let it evaporate? Have to put the lid on when it rains...

Because I'm such a CB I have pulped my documents to be shredded and am currently trying to dry it out on a tarp on top of the deck. Then I can easily shovel and dump it into the garbage. When it rains the kiddie pool goes back on top. Wikihow suggests putting bleach and water into a big garbage can to pulp and destroy docs - then what the hell do you do with a garbage can of bleach water? Not just wrong but bad advice. Article was written by a lawyer - arm chair tourist. not to insult the lawyers on here.... ;)
You’re not making prestologs? You could soak them in different chemicals to get different coloured flames . Sell them to the L,B,YADA,YADA,YADA Groups.
IMG_0485.gif

Everything causes cancer in California. Just bought a set of lawnmower blades that cause cancer.
My sky is not falling, but in Canada....it prolly is. I use bleach to sterilize garlic bulbs when planting, and yes, it gets dumped on the lawn when I'm done.:p

That is a LOT of money to spend on making wallets and Christmas tree ornaments. Very curious how many they sell per year and if its growing.

The "pro" is twice the pressure but still a fraction of what a commercial unit operates at, maybe 10%? . Without the pressure, they use way more abrasive making them expensive (imo) to run.

I’ve heard the wazers work but as @Mcgyver said use a lot of abrasive.

I’ve always kept my eyes open for a fire sale on a tiny industrial unit….

Industrial units have a settling/filter unit to remove the waste. The water is recycled for reuse in some units.

They are pretty expensive to run aren't they ? I imagine the abrasive costs add up pretty quickly on any water jet.

I don't really know the costs, if anyone does I would be interested to hear some of the real world numbers

Is the spent abrasive not land-fillable for some reason? Seems odd to me. Or maybe additives to the water or metal content is the issue?
Everything is a contaminant these days. A local seaside municipality is installing sidewalks a block and a half from the water. They're scraping 4" of lawn from behind the curb. Dumping charges are $1200 per box plus another $1200 in trucking charges. Why, salt contamination.

Is the spent abrasive not land-fillable for some reason? Seems odd to me. Or maybe additives to the water or metal content is the issue?

Lots of rules out there. Dig some dirt with a shovel and its clean fill. Use a hydrovac with tap water on the same dirt and the mud needs environmental handling - dewatering at a class 1 soil management site.

I can see it makes some sense though with abrasive from a waterjet as it is going to have metal fines in it, and depending on what they are, etc. They are also rules put in place to to govern large scale commercial use, when no one dreamed of a desktop unit.

Last edited:
Back