• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Water Soluble Cutting Fluid?

Morning everyone,
Well, my lathe and milling machine are finally in Canada. Somewhere between Vancouver and their new home. Waiting impatiently.
Anyway,
I bought some cutting fluid at Princess Auto the other day. I was kinda hurrying and I didn't read the front of the jug. Turns out it's water soluble cutting fluid.
Anyone else use this? It says to mix it between 5:1 and 20:1 water/fluid mix.
Maybe it's fine, but it seems odd to me. At 20:1, you're using almost straight water.
I used it to drill through a truck hitch and it seemed ok, but it seemed like it was just washing away the chips and swirls more than anything.
I just wanted to see what you experienced folks think before using it on anything more important, precise. And I don't want to be damaging the drill bits either.
Thanks for any input you can give,
Ken

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The stuff i use is water soluble, bought a 5 gallon pail of it years ago, Esso cut well 45. Same stuff that we used in the tech school when i got some formal learnin. Use different oil for threading though. It works fine and is relatively cheap.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Ken - I'd like to hear more about the lathe and mill. Can't leave us in suspense LOL - Models? New? Did you go through a supplier, if so, which one?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I use the same cutting fluid from PA that you bought, Ken. Been using that stuff for 2+ years now.

As I don’t have the coolant pumps setup on either the mill or any of the lathes, I just drip or brush it on. In those applications I use it undiluted, 100%. Works really well. Easy to clean. No rusting.

On the bandsaw, I do have the coolant pump setup. There I use it diluted - maybe in a 10 or 15:1 ratio (I don’t measure just go by what looks good). Here I like it less viscous, because I want the chips flushed out of the cut. I make small batches of it - maybe a gallon at a time. No rust on the saw or the chips even after a year sitting in the chip pan (yeah, I should really clean it out - another project).

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The joys of coolant (afaik unless you're using oil or air its all water soluble oil). Here's some appetizing pics ...the two different brands KBC sells. Just ends up a rotten, smelly, humongous petri dish in a few months (the oil is food for bacteria). The microsol 585, photo at the bottom otoh is great, it just doesn't seem to go bad - highly recomended. The tank btw is the Mark I "coolant server". Since scrapped, the Mark II is plasma cut and waiting in the wings for me to find time

WaHPIWv.jpg

00SbrN6.jpg

obT2R2N.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks RobinHood, now I'm not concerned about using it. I'll try different ratios and see which I prefer.

I'm planning to set a up mist coolant system on my machines, but I won't have big storage tanks for whichever coolant I'm using to go bad. Small batches will work fine for me.

boilerhouse - After a LOT of researching, I ended buying my machines off AliExpress, from the Numobams Store . Link : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/204419

I bought the - VM18LD 750W Brushless Motor 2 Axis Digital Grating DRO Metal Milling Machine and the - Update WM210D 850W Brushless Motor All Steel Gear Metal Lathe/38mm Spindle Bore Hole with digital readout metal lathe.

I can't say yet how good they will be, but they had a few key features I really liked. A 38mm spindle bore and a little bigger motor on the lathe, and they both have digital readouts . I'm hopeful that the quality will be good. The company was good to deal with, we even haggled over total cost and they came down a little.
Getting them here has been a hassle due to the Pandemic, but they're close.
I'll do a proper write up once I get them and spend some time messing around with them.
Have a good one,
Ken

Attachments

• 30E0DF87-2B70-4552-B12B-3662341A6369.png
    30E0DF87-2B70-4552-B12B-3662341A6369.png
    791.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 56DFE9FE-CFD4-4401-8C26-29DBA44DAB03.png
    56DFE9FE-CFD4-4401-8C26-29DBA44DAB03.png
    782.5 KB · Views: 18

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Nice purchase. Good luck with them. I am sure many of us would be interested in any follow up once they are set up and put through the paces.

George

I got my Machines from Alibaba, i was looking for cutting fluid and never even thought about princess auto, I shall be there tomorrow thanx for the prompt.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@GummyMonster I use the same PA water soluable fluid. I started with 5:1, but find that it works well up to 1:1. For using HSS drills, I find the 20:1 or even 50:1 to work well. I mix up a small batch and use a hand sprayer. If it goes bad, I'm only discarding 200ml or so. The sprayer isn't all that open to the air, so there is less opportunity to bring in bacteria and mold - it will go off, just takes a little longer.

I've been using it for various cutting and drilling and it seems to be working well.
I actually have it in a precision needle tip bottle like this -
I did so mostly because the pump can I bought shoots it farther than a super soaker and I needed to use the fluid without waiting that day.
It works good, you just have to refill it fairly often.
Happy I found it so far.
Ken

Attachments

• 789DB517-EBCD-42EA-905C-6CD0560D59DC.png
    789DB517-EBCD-42EA-905C-6CD0560D59DC.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

George

Yeah I will be using these i got off AliExpress, I paid just under $20 for 2 of them

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 4