• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wanted - TPGB or TCMT inserts

Geoff

Hey folks, I'm looking for some triangle carbide inserts for the dovetail cutters that I'm making. I thought I would check here before ordering online. The type of insert that I need is like TPGB or TCMT... Any positive 60 deg insert that has 7 to 11 deg angle will be fine ... Size needs to be 321 or 221 will also work (eg. TPGB 321). Let me know, thanks!

Matt_b_m

Hi Geoff,

I'd like to help you out, but you might have to assist me with the identity of such an item. I have a thread over in the Kijiji Hauls section about a machinist tool box I found on NYE. It came with three drawers of inserts, and to be honest, I'm not there yet! Haha.

Have a look as I posted some images and I'm more than happy to take some more detailed pictures and see if I can help you out.

Like I said, still learning, and my find might be way off on what you need.

Geoff

Hi Matt, thanks for reaching out. I had a look over there but there are a few ads and i'm not sure which is yours. I am specifically looking for triangle inserts. The key detail is when you look at the insert from the side, there is a 5, 7, or 11 degree angle where the insert slopes from the top to bottom. Maybe you could take a few photos of the triangle insert, top view and side view. Its would be great if you had some as I want to get my project done and ordering them online can take some time for them to arrive. Cheers!

feel free to email me directly: lovickg at gmail dot com.

Cheers!

Geoff

Oops! I misunderstood your post. I had a look on Kijiji.... Not in the Kijiji hauls section if this forum!! Lol... I'll have a look right now.

Geoff

Hey Matt, just had a look. Nice Kijiji haul! Looking at those pictures, it looks like there may be a few if the inserts that I need! Can we meet up so I can have a look? Let me know what is convenient for you and I'll swing by. Again thanks for reaching out. Maybe we can make a trade if you are interested.... Or maybe I can make you a dovetail cutter?? Anyways, please let me know and hopefully we can meet up soon.

Cheers!

Matt_b_m

Not a problem Geoff and thanks! We sure can meet up. I'm free tonight after 8pm, if not we can make something work tomorrow as well. I'm in the SE, Copperfiled. I'll see if i can send you a note with my number and you can call or send me a text.

Geoff

Thanks to Matt for helping out with some inserts!

Matt hooked me up with some TCMT 321 inserts. I would still like to try some TPGB or other TPG(x) inserts as long as they have a hole for screw mount. If anyone on the forum has any and would be willing to part with a few, I would gladly buy them or trade for something.

Cheers!

Matt_b_m

Not a problem Geoff. Gald I could help. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project in the 4140.

Geoff

I will share some details in the projects area. I should be done with the build this evening and then to test it to see if I get a better cut with the 4140 tool along with the quality TCMT inserts.

Geoff

Hi, thanks for speaking up. Please keep this in mind as I would like to try the TPG(x) style inserts on the dovetail cutter. I should be able swap the inserts as I believe they have the same core dimensions.

Let me know when you are back.

Cheers!