Wanted to rent (or borrow) a Gantry crane in Calgary

I just won an auction for a very large woodworking jointer that probably weighs 1000-1300 lbs. Does anyone in YYC have a gantry crane I can rent/borrow for a few days? Rogers rent-all has then, but $$$'s per day. I have a 14' trailer that I can use to move the gantry around without disassembling. .

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I assume they one at Regal?

It is a lot of work to move a gantry crane - a 1000 lbs jointer should not be a big deal to just push off the trailer.

The gantry crane alone is like 400 lbs (not rogers rent all one its aluminum and can be assembled by one person)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree with tom, but if you don't feel comfortable with that You could just hire a small knuckle truck to unload it and place it inside your garage door, some of the small guys with 1t truck mounted cranes are pretty reasonable $$

unloaded and in the garage in 5 minutes, worth calling around if your already considering renting equipment

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, my gantry crane would take easily an hour to load onto a trailer, maybe 30min to unload, another 90min to do that in reverse. Not to mention drive time.

For a mill or large lathe I can see it worth it. But for that wood shaper?

You could also just use engine hoist - I think shaper should go in between these two legs without any issues.

I used rogers rent all crane before - I think it was like $150 per day and I had it for a day to move all machines I had at the time which was two mills and a lathe. But all machines were around 3500 lbs. Main use was for LOADING the machines. I unloaded most without use of the crane even through I had it.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The auction place does not have a forklift to load it for you?

If they did, I would rent a drop deck trailer and use a come-along to pull it off the deck at your place. You can put straps to secure the jointer to the trailer while slowly inching it off the deck.