• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wanted-quick change tool post for South Bend 9

Hello! Just wondering if anybody out there,(locally) has a quick change tool post for sale to fit a South Bend 9 metal lathe??

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't know Southbends well, but check your center height. You might be able to use next size up (B). Probably some Googling will turn up common recommendations. Reason I mention is a) more meaty tool post can only help overall rigidity providing you have the footprint area on the compound b) the tool holders may be similarly scaled, so B might accommodate slightly thicker shanks which may benefit you with more tooling choices & again more rigidity. You would have to check the catalog specs if this is indeed true.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
If it’s too big then you might have to shave down the bottom of your tool holders. This is because you can’t lower the holder enough to get the tool to lathe centre. I’ve done that. There are some pictures on the site somewhere of me discussing this problem.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is an example of dimension schematic (happens to be a B). Then check matching tool holders.
http://www.shars.com/quick-changing-tool-post-piston-type-200-bxa

The issue is the sizing guidelines are kind of overlapping & lathe specific. It might say use A for swing of X" and B for swing of Y". But swing just means clearance to bed. But the critical dimension is vertical distance from spindle centerline to datum surface where toolpost is to be mounted (typically the compound top). I think most of the USA lathes generally follow the guideline, but there are some oddball Asian lathes that have big swing but low gap distance & has knackered folks in the past.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Also piston style vs wedge style. Various opinions, pros & cons. I have piston but I hear wedge is better.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've heard the pistonvs wedge thing too. I have a piston, and it works.

Don't bother with a BXA on the SB 9A. AXA and 0XA only. My 12.5 X 37 has an AXA on it. I know that even smaller lathes than the SB 9A have managed to sport a BXA - but the lathe itself isn't very rigid in this context, and is a frightful waste, considering AXA holders are abuout 9-12$US, and BXA are close to double that. Eventually you will have between 6 and 16 tool holders.....

Remember the SB9a was originally set up with an Armstrong toolholder for 1/4" HSS bits in them. It just isn't rigid enough to take a big chip anyway. Used as designed, it is a fine lathe.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You should be able to get AXA on eBay or Amazon for around $100 Chinese set with 5 holders.
https://www.amazon.ca/Accusize-Turi...d=1531783634&sr=8-11&keywords=axa+tool+holder

$160 is way too much.
$250 at Busy Bee gets you into Aloris territory (maybe gently used)

That might be just for the holders. I'm not sure it includes the tool post. The pictures don't show the tool post. The description is a little vague. The accusize web site is $199 for a toolpost and tool holders. https://www.accusizetools.com/quick-change-tool-post-sets-usa-style-piston-type/

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I use an axa piston type on my southbend. It works fine and is the correct size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I cannot access eBay at work or do some advanced "deal" searches but I paid $200 about 2 years ago (maybe 3) for wedge based BXA set (tool post + 5 holders) made by Chinese new. This was before I was digging hard for deals. Thus I think AXA being smaller should be quite less as they are smaller.

For real deals you have to look & they don't exactly appear when needed. For example through I don't really need it, I have a CXA piston made in Japan with 2 holders for I think $80 little used.