• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Wanted: plate sander to rent/borrow in Calgary

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
I can't find a plate sander to rent 12" by 18" - probably because everyone else has already rented them all. Does anybody here have one to borrow/rent trade?
John

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had to look that one up myself.
Thanks for heads up, this particular machine shortage adds to my perpetual excuse generator algorithm for worn hardwood needing attention. Personally I think wear adds charm.

1717265256411.png

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
Wear adds charm that's a good one Peter. Please convince me so I don't have to sand my deck?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm probably dating myself. The ones I saw for hardwood floors back in the day were big random motion discs, but maybe that was for finishing? Looks like there are drum versions which would be the weapon of choice especially for any chance of typical Calgary Rocky Mountain heave & distort & warp & fade & $$$$.... on & on. I do remember borrowing my dads handheld belt sander with 60 grit & basically aligning to the boards. More work & on your knees but the result was fine. Check all your protruding nail/screw holes beforehand!

1717285642035.png

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
The reading I've done recommends a plate sander with a 1 inch foam pad between sander and sandpaper for decks. The belt / floor sanders are not that great because the deck boards are cupped and warped. You would have to sand the board flat to get to the bottom of the valley whereas the plate sander with pad supposedly better fits to the warped boards. I've never tried it so we will see.

The reading I've done recommends a plate sander with a 1 inch foam pad between sander and sandpaper for decks. The belt / floor sanders are not that great because the deck boards are cupped and warped. You would have to sand the board flat to get to the bottom of the valley whereas the plate sander with pad supposedly better fits to the warped boards. I've never tried it so we will see.
You sand the deck (or any surface) at 45 degree angles in a 'X' fashion to remove the cupping. Source; Old man used to own a tool rental shop 'back in the day' and I worked many summers there and our floor sanders were a popular rental item. How thick are your deck boards? If they are 3/4" or less nominal I'd try out the pad sander, otherwise you can probably use a drum sander. Be careful with your grit choices as a 40 grit paper on a drum or floor belt sander (silverline style) will eat deck boards FAST.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I've refinished decks, I used 4" hand belt sanders. They are easier to get right to corners, and not much slower than a stand up unit. With a 60 grit belt they remove the previous finish and weathering quickly, but not too fast to create cupping in the boards....