• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Wanted: Bob Shores Little Angel plans

Free2fish

Just wondering if anyone wants to sell theirs. The folks that sell them now won’t ship to Canada and I have few other IC options for my Sherline equipment.
Thanks, Harry

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's a bummer. Usually the mom & pop hobbyist types are actually interested in selling to like minded non-USA hobbyists. I really cant envision a lot of effort on their part beyond a customs sticker post office drop off. Not sure where you reside, but a good solution might be DYK shipping. I use them for instances like this. You get a legitimate 'mailbox' in Montana. Then DYK trucks daily from border to location & you pick up. It has a fee of course so it's not a universal fix. https://www2.dykpost.com/

Also, you could write a want ad in HSM or similar & hopefully someone will come to the rescue. It may not be shipping the materials if you can source them here. But I'm not familiar with the engine if castings or special fittings are involved.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've had plans mailed to a friend, and they just put a big label over the address (with my address) and new stamps on it...

+1 to gerritv - there are a lot of IC plans out there, some free and some for $ - I think some of the ones from Germany to be very impressive!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Have you contacted them directly I have in the past telling vendors I knew about the exchange/ shipping charges and had whatever shipped out here.

Free2fish

Thanks for all the replies, nice to see that folks really want to help out. This thing has become a bit of a carnival act for me.
Years ago my wife gave me a casting and plans set for a Bob Shores Little Herc engine. At that time it was still a mom and pop operation; pop had passed away but mom still ran the website. Then she passed it on to someone else who, apparently won’t ship beyond US borders. Anyway, this engine is a little scary for me since it’s really at the extreme for my Sherline equipment so I thought I’d try his Little Angel which is built with bar stock and can easily be machined on the Sherline equipment.
The internet being what it is, has a number of bogus sites selling these plans and I fell victim to one of those.
I'm not really that anxious yet since I have a couple of steam/air projects I can work on this winter. And since most of my challenges come from the size of the Sherline equipment, I’m still pondering the purchase of a larger mill and lathe to handle the easier, larger model IC engines mentioned above.
Harry

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think I've heard similar versions of the 'someone else' story. Rather unfortunate. Well if you have your heart set on that particular design & not in a particular hurry, I think mid-shipper like DYK or a want ad would get them in your hands. But I also suspect there are other designs that might be worth consideration if its a total pita.

I don't have a Sherline but I have been impressed by the projects some individuals have been able to squeeze out of them. The devil is in the details of course - how far you are into the tooling vs. workaround setup & time vs maybe upsizing. But if you Google Sherline on some model engineering forums you might get a better sense of what others are making for comparison.

Free2fish

Thanks, I’ve seen that. Michael PMed him so I assume they’re gone. I’m starting to lean towards making a start on my Little Herc, after all I’ve got all the drawing and castings. And what’s the worst that can happen? LOL.
Harry

Free2fish

Beautiful build. Makes me realize I’m not quite ready to tackle this with my Sherline equipment.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and helpful comments. If I do ever end up with a set of Little Angel plans I’ll report back here.
Harry

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I contacted a guy in the US that had some sets of plans; He hasn't gotten back to me (yet) but I think he might be all sold out...

Free2fish

Thanks Dabbler, much appreciated. I’m not optimistic about your getting an answer, believe me I’ve tried. There seem to be about 1/2 dozen sites out there advertising these plans online but I suspect most of these are scammers. At least the one I sent money to was so I’ve become a bit gun shy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
With stuff like that I'd either use PayPal or Google Pay so you have a half decent chance of getting your money back if it bombs.

I have no idea what your engine even looks like or how big it is, but it sure does sound cool!

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Have you tried this website?
Modelenginecastings.com

there is some discussion about it on

Free2fish

I contacted them a couple of times about shipping to Canada but received no answer. And yes, I had seen that post. It seems that some vendors just don’t like to ship to Canada, I’ve been ignored on some fairly substantive orders from established companies when I’ve identified my shipping address as Canadian.

Free2fish

Got a response from another forum and have sent the money. Looking good for another project when the winter snows hit the prairies. Thanks so much for all the good will!
Harry

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Even some very big companies refuse to sell to Canadians. Eg Midway.