• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Wanted a non leaky oil can.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Wanted:

A non leaky oil can for oiling ball oilers on the lathe.

From what I have read best bet is an old school: Reilang or Dutton-Lainson. Seems most if not all the new ones leak.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a Reiling after going through 2 common oilers which ended up totaling same cost. They are very good but spendy. Shipping is the main killer.

The Reiling easily injects at pressures the mainstream ones were leaking or bending the tuna can triggers.I've heard the original ones were good but the knock-offs cut corners. Now having said that, high pressure is usually a sign something is amiss, Either plugged or damaged oiler nipple or within gallery. It can be aged oil mung / debris or it can be a factory deficiency. Some of these problems are easy to diagnose & rectify, others involve a more significant machine teardown to investigate. Some oilers can be extracted from the top, but others lead to a deeper depth hole where you would not want any oiler fragments to go down & cause more problems. So I figured a good oiler was worth a gamble. What I do out of habit is quick debris clean off the oiler before injecting or else you just risk pushing down bits when you inject & this clogs over time because it has nowhere to go.

ChazzC

I've been very happy with my Reilang R003-253 (200ml); not cheap, but it works and doesn't leak. I had a Goldenrod and even that one leaked. I remember that my father had a large and small what I call "clicker" oil cans (round, dome-shaped with a bottom that clicked when pu pushed it), and both of them always had a small rind of oil around the base.

Reilang R003 Oiler crop.jpg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Those look like Goldenrods to me.
Yes they are. I just looked through the ad and I don't know why they don't say the brand, but the last time I ordered them a couple years ago I received genuine Goldenrod oilers. Hopefully that is still the case. I found them to be good quality and non leaky. I need to order some more and get more organized about the various oils my machines take....

ChazzC

Do the pump oilers have a fine tip? My lathe (10X22) has several ball oilers where the ball opening is ~3 mm diameter. The tip of the oiler needs to be just small enough to go into the opening or oil goes everywhere but where I want!

Craig
The tip on my Reilang is 3mm and works well on the small ball oilers on my Mini-Lathe.

I had a flat tip for my Goldenrod, which also worked well, but the lid gasket leaked, not a lot, but I had to clean the body every time I picked it up.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Do the pump oilers have a fine tip? My lathe (10X22) has several ball oilers where the ball opening is ~3 mm diameter. The tip of the oiler needs to be just small enough to go into the opening or oil goes everywhere but where I want!

Craig
Not that fine of a tip, I don't think they'd do 3mm as is. I know mine won't do the ball oilers on my shaper, which are smaller than 3mm, which is why I want to machine a new tip that is a luer-lok taper fitting so I can stick on various sized needle tips. Simple lathe project I just never get around to doing......