• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wanted: 9 point knee handle for clone bridgeport

justin1

Super User
Seeing if anyone got a spare one of these kicking around they want to sell. doesn't even have to have the handle could be just the toothed part or even broken handle lol

Shaft size is 16mm ish as pipe wrench has been used on shaft so it's fairly damaged. May turn down in lathe or file down and used speedi sleeve on it.

I will cover shipping.

May end up making one butt seeing if anyone's got a junk drawer with one in it.

Also considered buying new Chinese one but I'm sure there is a few of them out there in need of a new home lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_162203231.jpg
    IMG_20230529_162203231.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 7

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Consider getting the drill adapter instead. I made one because everything I found is expensive and besides, I love to make tools for my tools...... Then you can use a drill or a socket wrench.

Here is what they look like: 3129-0015 1/2 Inch Shank Knee Feed Adapter for Power Drill
https://a.co/d/b30XRie

justin1

Super User
Consider getting the drill adapter instead. I made one because everything I found is expensive and besides, I love to make tools for my tools...... Then you can use a drill or a socket wrench.

Here is what they look like: 3129-0015 1/2 Inch Shank Knee Feed Adapter for Power Drill
https://a.co/d/b30XRie
Ye I saw those adapters was thinking about buying one then sticking a handle on that's removable but it's dam near same price as Alibaba handle oddly enough.

Wow didn't see that one cuz man that is cheap it's amazing they can make money off it but I guess labour is dirt cheap still.
With the cost of steel it may be cheaper to buy a new one than build one, not as fun but,,,
Ye if a guy had to buy the material it would probly be the same cost depending what a guy wanted.

I was gonna try and make the toothed part and weld one of my extra wrenches too it and a bolt with a pipe sleeve on it for the spinny handle.

I figured I would try and see what was out there but most likely China wins out with this aswell

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Cant see why that many lugs are needed for a crank, any knee I've cranked (very limited experience here) had a bit of resistance but not anything hard enough to warrant anymore than 2 of those lugs...I think a very usable replacement could be shop built in very short order.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure but I don't think its related to lifting power. Often the handle is positioned in a way so the operator can fine feed or position the knee/table. Better control leveraged at 3:00 vs 6:00 where the bar would be hanging low/ Also what side of the mill head you are standing at. Longwinded way of saying more lugs = more handle positions

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Not sure but I don't think its related to lifting power. Often the handle is positioned in a way so the operator can fine feed or position the knee/table. Better control leveraged at 3:00 vs 6:00 where the bar would be hanging low/ Also what side of the mill head you are standing at. Longwinded way of saying more lugs = more handle positions
If you've got 9 lugs on the mill don't you get nine positions no matter how many lugs on the handle? Even if the handle had only one lug you could just re-index the handle to get a different position on the mill lug, couldn't you? I use a open end wrench on mine and get any position I need, or reasonably close, just by reindexing it. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you've got 9 lugs on the mill don't you get nine positions no matter how many lugs on the handle? Even if the handle had only one lug you could just re-index the handle to get a different position on the mill lug, couldn't you? I use a open end wrench on mine and get any position I need, or reasonably close, just by reindexing it. Am I missing something?
Yes, I'm just saying 'multi-lug' is more related to allowing the handle to détente into more positions, not just about knee lifting.
Yes, you could have one pin or tenon only engaging any one of 9 slots. The only downside is 9X the stress on that single element vs distributed to all, although I've never heard of anyone shearing one. I always thought mill handles were a bit overly hefty but OTOH there is some table weight + parts + accessories. They must have done it for a reason back in the day.

justin1

Super User
Mr. Pete has a videos series on making the adapter
Ive seen that looks simple enough if a guy had a rotary table or dividing head :( I haven't found one yet and when one did pop up I thought about it too long and it got sold...

Not that it couldn't be done without one but man it would take much long lol.
Yes, I'm just saying 'multi-lug' is more related to allowing the handle to détente into more positions, not just about knee lifting.
Yes, you could have one pin or tenon only engaging any one of 9 slots. The only downside is 9X the stress on that single element vs distributed to all, although I've never heard of anyone shearing one. I always thought mill handles were a bit overly hefty but OTOH there is some table weight + parts + accessories. They must have done it for a reason back in the day.
Ye I imagine once you start throwing something 500lbs or more on a table gets hard fast