Wade ring scroll chuck

Bandit

Super User
Any one know which way to turn the ring on a ring scroll chuck to loosen the jaws? This is not a heavy duty chuck, don't want to break it or the back gearing. Facing the jaw end of the chuck, I would think counter clockwise, as normal rotation while cutting would tend to keep chuck tightened up. I have been wrong before, maybe only 2 times so far today, buts it's still before 9:00am, lots of time left today.
Yes, pictures would be nice, still working on that problem.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I feel your pain.

I also like your logic if that means anything at all.

But I don't have one so I don't know for sure.

Bandit

Super User
So a wet rainy day here, had a chance to look at the Wade ring scroll chuck. Nothing really to indicate which way to turn, pin wrench holes worn about the same both ways. So thinking counter clockwise looking at the front, put the carridge so the compound was under a jaw, and a few shims to give a full length contact of jaw, a couple of light bangs with a hand and it loosened off.
In no way do I recommend such to remove a chuck stuck on a spindle, I was just trying to open jaws up, and was hoping magnum force had not been used to tighten the jaws up.

Bandit

Super User
It could have been wrong easily, the idea was try "gently" one way, then the other, if needed. Larger amounts of force if/as needed, and we all know what that can lead to!! Fix it, till it needs some real fixing!