• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Vibratory Tumbler?

Richard Tymko

Hi I am getting 2000 aluminium pieces made each about 4x4x.125” in size. I am looking for a company to do some deburring and surface finishing so I can get them anodized. Anyone know of anyone or any place with a large vibratory tumbler that can do this quantity of work?

Thanks,

Richard

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nope, zero experience other than general interest. What you have described are basically sheets. Sure you don't want to bead blast? I cant help but thinking the corners & edges are going to ding up the faces in a tumbler given the large exposed surface areas. I've seen some bead blasted texture that took anodizing well. But maybe this doesn't lend itself to 2000. Another look is kind of uni-directional brushed texturing (1st link). Again, mo idea of time involved or cost but just pointing out a look. Show us your samples or results when you decide, I'm curious.
https://blog.jdslabs.com/2013/05/how-to-finish-aluminum/
https://www.badgeranodising.co.uk/services/bead-blasting

Richard Tymko

Yeah, both those are very labour intensive. A nice finish though. Attached is one of the parts im needing surfaced...
It is part of a mobile media stand.

Attachments

• IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh I see, very different than what I first envisioned with initial description.

You have a lot of delicate members between the cut-outs IMO. Another consideration is how those bridges will survive the bumping around in the tumbler. I've heard most of the issues people deal with are parts hitting one another as they likely to contact many times. This is less of an issue for small parts because they have low mass & smaller volume so more media between them & less momentum when they contact. Also I think the media might be sized not only on abrasive/finish issues but considering what might get stuck in the nooks & crannies. But leave that to the finishing company to guide you.

BTW are those laser cut?

Are you just embarking on choosing a metal finisher or you have exhausted some options already & casting the net out further?

Attachments

• 11-15-2018 0000.jpg
    11-15-2018 0000.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11-15-2018 0001.jpg
    11-15-2018 0001.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 0

gsg9.ca

Vibratory tumbling is not usually an aggressive form of polishing or deburring, unless you use a particularly nasty tumbling media like ceramic. Parts do bump but it's minimal. One of the main uses is cleaning fired casings. The brass is very thin compared to most machined items and it's doesn't get chewed up at all. If I'm doing big volume I use a small cement mixed with either 60 or 80 screen walnut or corn cob.

That said I wouldn't do anything until you talk to your anodizer. Some are very fussy about how they receive product. If you've got burrs big enough that you might need to use ceramic media then they usually use some kind of oil or solution mixed in. That stuff needs to be perfectly flushed before it goes into the acid tanks. Who ever's doing your anodizing will either take care of it themselves or they can suggest a qualified vendor to handle it.

gl