• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

VFDs

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Two of these followed me home in their original boxes. A web search says they were selling for as much as $650US. Good to 2HP from single phase 110VAC or 220VAC. The pot for speed control is supplied. They can also be driven with an isolated 0-5V signal for speed control. They are Baldor ID5602-CO. A marking on the box suggests made in 2009. I have no idea if they work and I don't want to take my lathe apart to try it with that motor.

If anyone on the island has a spare 3 phase motor lying around so I can test them...

Baldor_ID5602-CO.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes. They aren't as fancy as my GS1 but then the date stamp on the box is 2009 and I believe Made in USA rather than China. Here are the specs.

Nothing in the specs say 3phase output which is the norm. But I have heard of single phase output units that only change the frequency. Could it be that these are single phase output drives?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Isn't the symbol 3 followed by a 0 with a vertical line through it the sign for 3 phase power?
It's on the tag in the output line.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Oh and Chris M. (cjmac) says he has a 3 phase 0.5HP motor lying around in one of his storage places up in Sooke. So in the next month or so when he's up there he'll bring it back down. Might take me another month to get to testing.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Oh and also got 4 of these. Current retail price of them is $63 each. 200W, 1 Ohm. Might be a bit low in resistance to use as a braking resistor for a servo motor. Or maybe not?

Attachments

• PowerResistor200W1R.jpg
    PowerResistor200W1R.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 6