Valuing old camelback drill press

justin1

Super User
I offered some help with some equipment reassembling for a lady I meet recently who's husband had passed away. He had started some rebuilds and just didn't get enough time to finish them all, one of the project is a old camelback denbigh drill press.

It's currently completely taken apart but appears complete. Still in process of finding parts for various equipment and making sure they don't get lost as other equipment is being sold.

I've seen a few of them pop up over the years but don't remember them having much if any value. So i offered to post here and get some feed back on this machine to see it is worth doing anything with besides scrap or give away.

IMG_20240116_140024360.jpg

Shout out to anyone happens to recognize what the light blue milling machine knee and what it comes off of. There doesn't appear to be any matching machines that It could of came off of at this time.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
i see them for sale once in a while, and they are generally not much sought after. The biggest drawbacks are the size and weight, and they do a job a smaller modern version does just about as well. I saw one offered for free in my area, and after weeks, there were still no takers, although i think it eventually found a home. The sellers who ask $500 because it is "vintage' are either dreamers or delusional. But, if i had the room, (like a lot of room) i would definitely want one just for the cool factor, and would pay a small amount - like less than $200. The fact that it is in pieces could even limit that interest. But.... Please don't scrap it, someone out there will take it and maybe even offer a nominal amount for it.

justin1

Super User
Please don't scrap it, someone out there will take it and maybe even offer a nominal amount for it.
The very last resort would be scrap and only if a new home isn't found after a while. As I too hate to see it get scrapped as there isn't gonna be at more made anytime soon that's for sure

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I sold one about 7 years ago, best I could get for it was about $600. It was fully functional and well maintained in my employers shop. Problem is they are so high they won’t fit in most garage shops. But they are glorious.

justin1

Super User
You could add myself to your list of a new home if decide to go that route.
Were abouts you located? There is good possibility it will end up going down the rehoming route but I want to get more information for the lady so she can make informed decision.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
These things are not worth much - I seen large ones for sale here in AB for like $400. This one is small and disassembled - I think you would be very lucky if someone handed you $100 for it.