• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

UV Resin and a custom machined cabochon for a fishing reel

1018Machine

Being new here I figured I make my first post to introduce myself. After sifting through the forum I've come to learn there are many members "north" of the border posting here which is nice to see. I too reside in SWO and mostly make custom fishing reels and the last few years have been dabbling in watch making although the primary work in my shop revolves around reels.

I thought I'd share a small project I just finished for one of those reels were the customer wanted a Tigers eye "look" for the cabochon that covers the tension dial on the backplate. Casting resins have always been a hit and miss for me so this time I figured I'd try UV resin! I must say it performs well and machines nicely too. The best thing is it's instant and you can move on with the project immediately. The inside component of the cabochon has my logo icon as it always does and this time I cut it out on using my fiber laser. Here's some pics of the project.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_6929.webp
    IMG_6929.webp
    41 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6931.webp
    IMG_6931.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6933.webp
    IMG_6933.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6937.webp
    IMG_6937.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6939.webp
    IMG_6939.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 24
Being new here I figured I make my first post to introduce myself. After sifting through the forum I've come to learn there are many members "north" of the border posting here which is nice to see. I too reside in SWO and mostly make custom fishing reels and the last few years have been dabbling in watch making although the primary work in my shop revolves around reels.

I thought I'd share a small project I just finished for one of those reels were the customer wanted a Tigers eye "look" for the cabochon that covers the tension dial on the backplate. Casting resins have always been a hit and miss for me so this time I figured I'd try UV resin! I must say it performs well and machines nicely too. The best thing is it's instant and you can move on with the project immediately. The inside component of the cabochon has my logo icon as it always does and this time I cut it out on using my fiber laser. Here's some pics of the project.

Thanks for looking!
Welcome. Very nice work you have done there.

It gives me ideas for my leather and woodworking tool handles. You've captured the look superbly

Welcome @1018Machine . Nice work.

I've been meaning to mess around with UV resin. Can you elaborate on what brand you are using & what kind of UV light for applications like that.

One thing I've wondered - on regular A+B hardener style casting epoxies & urethanes, they often go through pains to first vacuum de-gass any entrained air resulting from mixing before pouring. And often for good measure, put the pour assembly into a pressure vessel to reduce the size of any remaining air so its optically as clear as possible. This is kind of application specific of course. On UV, seems like they are counting on thinner viscosity & lack of mixing to get good results? Do you have any comparative experience between these old & new systems?

Welcome @1018Machine . Nice work.

I've been meaning to mess around with UV resin. Can you elaborate on what brand you are using & what kind of UV light for applications like that.

One thing I've wondered - on regular A+B hardener style casting epoxies & urethanes, they often go through pains to first vacuum de-gass any entrained air resulting from mixing before pouring. And often for good measure, put the pour assembly into a pressure vessel to reduce the size of any remaining air so its optically as clear as possible. This is kind of application specific of course. On UV, seems like they are counting on thinner viscosity & lack of mixing to get good results? Do you have any comparative experience between these old & new systems?
Thanks PeteT!

I don't have a pressure pot but then again I don't really cast anything bigger than that cabochon. I'm sure it would benefit from it though. My pal makes custom fishing rods and casts larger blanks for the reel seats and uses a pressure pot. Saying it's essential to the outcome for that size stuff. I just breathe moist air on the surface to break bubbles and wick a blue flame over it to warm it a bit, seems to work well. If it were poured clear there wouldn't be any concern but adding dyes requires stirring and as you note, it imparts bubbles. The product I am using is quite thick actually but you can buy it in different viscosities. I got it on Amazon, (Vida Rosa) and when searched there's a ton of it. The light is nothing special either but I opted for the highest wattage (60watts 405nm UV) I could get. Takes about 8 minutes to get a rock hard surface.

The reason I went with it is I'm tired of getting inconsistent results with the two part stuff and the fact it takes so long to cure, even after cured it doesn't machine well.

That is a very cool cabochon.
I’ve kept meaning to try a UV resin for thin castings. I make larger, 3/4” rod, castings with Alumilite Clear Slow. It absolutely hates moisture and requires a pressure pot. It only has an open time of 12-15 minutes, but it does take a few days to reach full cure. Unless you heat cure it, but that adds in other variables.

That is a very cool cabochon.
I’ve kept meaning to try a UV resin for thin castings. I make larger, 3/4” rod, castings with Alumilite Clear Slow. It absolutely hates moisture and requires a pressure pot. It only has an open time of 12-15 minutes, but it does take a few days to reach full cure. Unless you heat cure it, but that adds in other variables.
Thanks Darrin.

I think if you do try the UV resin it will require a longer time under UV then normal due to the thickness, clear tubes will be obvious as well. I think it might solve some of your issues regarding hardness when cured. This stuff becomes very hard and machines well.

Have either of you used any of these 'crystal clear' epoxy's & dismissed them for a particular reason? There are a bunch of them on Amazon. Some look like re-packagers but others lead to a storefront that has a wide selection & other related sundries. I saw some home crafted art objects which were remarkably void of any air bubbles. I quizzed the lady, she was familiar with vacuum de-gass pot but said she only used vacuum on large pours. The ones I was holding were just mix & pour into silicon molds. Now they were maybe 1" dia x 0.3" thick so short bubble travel distance in that particular application, but she had other larger volume objects that looked good. I almost bought some myself for a repair but found another solution, now I'm curious.

The specs vary by brand but +/ - like this: Easy 1:1 mixing ratio by volume, 40 minute work time, demolding in 4-6 hours, fully cured in 24 hours.

1724608059954.webp

I'm not familiar with that one Peter. I used to use Alumilite all the time. Some days I'd pour random amounts and get a great cure, a few weeks back I got all technical and weighed both and the next day it like thick soup still! Leaves me scratching my head. That's why I thought I'd try UV. Alumilite sells a catalyst version which works well be goes bad quick of you don't use it.

Back