• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Utilathe Taper Attachment - fits 9 inch and 10 inch

Brent H

Ultra Member
These are the plans for the Utilathe taper attachment as fitted. They are close to the original as possible and should fit the 9 and 10 inch modle and possibly the 12 innch LD Utilathe. I am not certain on the 11 and 13 inch as they changed the style completely. Some of the drawings I will update as the layout is not the greatest.

Here are some pictures of an original assembly:

$_59 (1).jpg
img4.jpg
Taper attachment1.jpeg

The plans are attached. I will see if I can clean things up and also attach the autoCad .DWG

Attachments

• taper attachment Model (1).pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 20
  • taper attachment Model (2).pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 18
  • taper attachment mounting bracket.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 18
  • taper attachment slide block.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 18
  • taper attachment taper bar.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 16

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes, I cannot change it until I get autocad working - don't have it at home. Here is the metric version:

Attachments

• taper attachment metric mounting bracket.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 10

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just curious - how does the Utilathe 'disconnect' the leadscrew from the normal cross slide action in order for the taper assembly to slide in taper tuning mode? Is there an engage/disengage mechanism, or do you have to manually un-bolt something?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
IIRC, you unbolt the cross slide lead screw nut. It does not have a telescoping lead screw, like the SM 1340.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Just curious - how does the Utilathe 'disconnect' the leadscrew from the normal cross slide action in order for the taper assembly to slide in taper tuning mode? Is there an engage/disengage mechanism, or do you have to manually un-bolt something?

You remove the screw that anchors the cross slide to the cross feed nut and use the screw to anchor the cross slide to the taper attachment shoe. The cross slide then floats along following the shoe.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Ref post #4 - I wondered why that wasn't posted in Brent's thread about the tail stock:rolleyes:, I had two threads open and posted to the wrong one,,,, duh lol