• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Using 1/4" lathe cutting tools in a holder made for 1/2" tooling

Tool

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I was recently machining some very small parts in the lathe and decided I could only access it with 1/4" cutting tools. I want to have a good rigid mount for the 1/4 cutting tool so I squared up a piece of mild steel stock I had to fit the full length of the 1/2' slot in the AXA tool holder. I then milled a slot in the top of new adapter to fit the 1/4 cutting tools . I centered the 1/4 slot under the center of the tool holder set screws. A couple of things I ran into - The so called 1/4 HSS cutting tools I bought from Accusize only measured .144" square so cut the slot to fit them fairly close leaving the 1/4 tool sit about .015" high so the set screws would get a good hold down on the tools and adapter. 2nd - the 1/2 square adapter did not fit right back against the back of the slot in the AXA holder because there was a slight radius in the inside bottom corner. A little chamfer on the inside bottom corner of my adapter solved that problem.

Attachments

• Tool Holder end.jpg
    Tool Holder end.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Half to quarter adapter.jpg
    Half to quarter adapter.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 32
I then milled a slot in the top of new adapter to fit the 1/4 cutting tools . I centered the 1/4 slot under the center of the tool holder set screws.

I have had to do something similar a few times. I put a thick shim behind the tool and another under it. Works the same as what you did without the machining.

I think your approach will be much more rigid. The main reason I did it differently is that I didn't have a decent mill yet.

When I get out to the shop I'll take a photo and add it here.

I want to have a good rigid mount for the 1/4 cutting tool so I squared up a piece of mild steel stock I had to fit the full length of the 1/2' slot in the AXA tool holder.

When I get out to the shop I'll take a photo and add it here.

I took the photo Larry, but forgot to post it.

I think I got the shim set at Busy Bee ages ago. I don't know if they still carry it. It has saved my bacon a hundred times. The tool in the holder is a 7/32 HSS bar mounted so it can be on center. However, the tool itself is for chamfering and doesn't need to be on center.

20240721_162320.jpg

I have some of those shims also along with few others I have made up along the way. My wife used to buy some British candies in a small round tin with a lid. I salvaged them when they were empty. They are a perfect size for storing these shims and other small items.

A person could get an old set of feeler gauges and use them as shims?

I do that too. Just not old ones. I bought 3 sets on Ali and took the set apart. VERY HANDY! I use them all the time!

They are not big enough for this job though. The ones I use for this job are 1/16 through to 3/8ths.

Last edited:
Ive taken bits of flat stock eg 1/4 or 1/8 x 1/2 and smoothed off the mill scale both sides and used that. Also used steel banding it comes in a couple thickness that works real good

Ive taken bits of flat stock eg 1/4 or 1/8 x 1/2 and smoothed off the mill scale both sides and used that. Also used steel banding it comes in a couple thickness that works real good

That would work. It was handy as hell to just buy an assortment all in one package at Busy Bee.

Back