Used Lathe Prices

I went and looked at some used lathes today and people have gone mad with post Covid greed. Some folks are charging the same amount as new for lathes that are 15 y/o and cost 1/2 at the time of purchase. Maybe someone can shed some light on why used tools are ridiculously expensive. I got so frustrated I almost went and bought a brand new one at BB but they didn’t have stock in the model I wanted…lol. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to buy new but I am not a fancy guy so I don’t mind used tools. There must be some ryhm or reason to all of this overpricing. Let me know your thoughts OR sell me your bench lathe…lol

Jayham

It’s not only used equipment, I was eyeballing a 12x36 lathe from king/bb for a few years. 2019 they were selling for $3500, a few week ago I was in BB and the same lathe is now $6300.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have some faith that prices will come down if people refuse to pay the ridiculous asking prices on used machines.

That said, Busy Bee is making a ton of margin on the CX machines.
My Weiss VM32 mill which is the exact same machine as an CX601 was $3000CDN drop shipped to my door. And that $3000 included power feed, taxes and shipping.
Compare that to $3500 on sale plus taxes and shipping for the CX601. For me that’s a total cost to my door of $4612 but doesn’t include the power feed which would drive the cost to over $5000.

I got so frustrated when I was looking for a mill I bought a brand new Baileigh. It was expensive but it’s awesome. I won’t use a lathe a ton so if possible I would like to wait and get a reasonably priced used unit…the Kijiji folks have had their overpriced machines up forever but don’t seem to be catching on.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got so frustrated when I was looking for a mill I bought a brand new Baileigh. It was expensive but it’s awesome. I won’t use a lathe a ton so if possible I would like to wait and get a reasonably priced used unit…the Kijiji folks have had their overpriced machines up forever but don’t seem to be catching on.
Tell us more about your new mill. We'd love some pictures too.
What sort of metal projects work are you doing? I love my milling machine but if I had to give up one over the other I'd let the mill go before my lathe. I just find I use it alot more.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Tell us more about your new mill. We'd love some pictures too.
What sort of metal projects work are you doing? I love my milling machine but if I had to give up one over the other I'd let the mill go before my lathe. I just find I use it alot more.
That's kind of like deciding which t@$ticle to give up. Although, at my age, machine tools are more useful.