• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Used CNC machine prices

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've been gawking at used CNC lathe's. I saw this interesting unit - a ST-10Y slant bed CNC lathe with live tooling and Y axis - they want $50K USD for it. New it's about $98K currently from HAAS. So that's about half and the machine is from 2013 so 7 or 8 years old. What do people know about expected depreciation on CNC equipment? I thought perhaps at that age it would cost less than that. I don't know the hours on the machine or really what condition it is in. Looks ok from here. Should it be worth 50% at 5 years old? and at 7 years?

https://www.machineryresources.com/inventory-detail?for-sale=2013-HAAS-ST-10Y&stock-number=83199
1628649720045.png

Here's a vid on what that kind of machine can do, a combination of lathe work and mill work. Essentially a limited mill turn machine but this is smaller and not a 5 axis machine.

kylemp

Not that I buy larger machines but from what I've seen the machines that are kind of an industry staple (vmcs up to 20hp, lathes about the same with 8 inch Chuck's) tend to depreciate slower. I'm sure there's a higher demand which massively adds to the value, and honestly in my opinion 50k for a live tooling lathe is not a bad price assuming it's hours are reasonable and it has a bit of tooling. There's also some sort of following for Haas machines, I am not certain why outside of that there are a lot of them in North America.. I'd think a machine that new is more or less in line, I'm also certain if you were patient and willing to pay to ship one from wherever it came up that you'd be able to find one at a lower price.

Tom O

Ultra Member
You also have to think about power requirements to even turn on the Cincinnati it cost me $10,000 for the Phase Perfect converter that included a $600 surge protector.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You are totally right, way too expensive.

It is just within reach of a home shop - a bit on the large size but not a monster. I.e. its not like a 10 ton machine that takes whole garage. Through I do not think "homeshop bonus" applies a lot here - just a bit. For something like a Tormach you get huge homeshop bonus - I seen some old machines beaten to death sell for top dollar b/c they are small.

Machinery dealer is also in the business of selling for top dollar rare to find items - sort of like on FB marketplace you have some dude claiming "Its 1000 new" and selling only for 500 an item that is needed by like 100 people on earth. So there is a big effect like this - what you are seeing is top dollar.

Also there is condition - it should be mostly prototype class or small production runs - if it was ridden hard for small parts for 7 years it may be clapped out.

If you have time to look & are flexible I am sure in this class you can get similar machine for way less - like 1/3 of original sticker price. Touch larger machines for even less as they will be outside most home shops.

For my home shop this machine would be a no issue addition - most home shops that even look at these machines and are serious already have 3ph 240. Heck I have 600v and I even have 480v (not hooked up yet). Main thing is... price.