• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Unusual tool post grinder

Birkhoff

I put this up on the Member Spotted forum but it is really more of a question than an advert. So this is a repost in a (hopefully) more appropriate forum. I'll delete the other one if I can.

I've been looking for a tool post grinder for my chipmaster on and off for a while. The lathe is a small centreline (5.5 inch UK/11 inch US) format so I don't want anything too clunky. This one came up locally a few weeks ago. Does anyone have experience with these or something like them? Variable speed, 45,000 rpm top end, apparently high precision. I assume this version is set up for a lathe; the company also made jig bore grinders that look quite different.

Any known reason why this would be a bad idea. It is on the small side for a TPG, which is a good thing.

Here's a picture from the listing:

Attachments

• 458976879_1235894374505332_4648073363892706035_n.jpg
    458976879_1235894374505332_4648073363892706035_n.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 14
I'd take a pass. For internal grinding you need a longer arbor, and for external a larger wheel or you can't clear the tailstock etc. Even if you made a way to mount a larger wheel, it would be problematic slowing it down the required amount (you'll have no power left) and I doubt the spindle is sturdy enough for a large wheel in any event.

On of the biggest problems with grinding in the lathe in my experience is vibration. even the brand name stuff is frustratingly not smooth enough and its hard to get great results. ok results, but not great. Maybe this is the electric die grinder to beat all die grinders, but all the ones I've tried had a lot of vibration, so that would also be a big concern.

I'd take a pass. For internal grinding you need a longer arbor, and for external a larger wheel or you can't clear the tailstock etc. Even if you made a way to mount a larger wheel, it would be problematic slowing it down the required amount (you'll have no power left) and I doubt the spindle is sturdy enough for a large wheel in any event.

On of the biggest problems with grinding in the lathe in my experience is vibration. even the brand name stuff is frustratingly not smooth enough and its hard to get great results. ok results, but not great. Maybe this is the electric die grinder to beat all die grinders, but all the ones I've tried had a lot of vibration, so that would also be a big concern.
Ok this is terrific feedback (also, thanks David and Ironman). Not having done a lot of grinding at the lathe, I probably wouldn't catch this until later when I tried to do setup and ran into problems. According to google (practical machinist etc) these are legendary spindles for smooth operation, but only if in 'as new' condition and the high spindle speed could be, ironically, limiting. If I'm nearby, I may take a look at it, but as David says, this is a lot to pay for an antique that may be quite limited in use. The spindle is rated at 1/2 HP (other versions were 1/4 HP) so it still may have some grunt at lower speeds, but it is a very small rotating assembly for the torque curve. My first instinct is always to go the home-brew route. I have a small cordless trim router that I find myself grabbing more and more in preference to my corded tools. Probably about as accurate and smooth as anything else in that category, and easy to cobble together a mount.
Just another idea for you. I don't often use it but it does ok, and I have a variable speed box I can use on it also
So that arbor `extender' on the cutout tool -- is it an off the shelf item? I can fit a 1/4 inch collet in my drywall tool but extending that much mass out that far would not be my first thought . . . If it fits over the collet nut thread, that would be better. Then grind the collet end to centre. If you had a tiny grinder setup ;-)

So that arbor `extender' on the cutout tool -- is it an off the shelf item? I can fit a 1/4 inch collet in my drywall tool but extending that much mass out that far would not be my first thought . . . If it fits over the collet nut thread, that would be better. Then grind the collet end to centre. If you had a tiny grinder setup ;-)
It is a model DW660 and has a plastic skirt to vary the depth. I removed that and used it as a pattern for the holes in the mount plate. With the skirt taken off the extension is there as is. It now costs 125 bux at Cantire

Ah, I see. My drywall cutout is older, with no skirt so the collet nut almost meets the front bearing housing -- no shaft stick out to speak of. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: to correct stupid autocorrect

Last edited:
Back