• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Universal milling machine, $2500, Calgary, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
9960431c-3b35-47d1-8c57-8ca0f0ff17d3

lenzh25

Hi everyone - Lenz here. my first post, though I've been lurking for a while.

I am really intrigued by this machine, though I see a lot of pros and cons - thoughts on this as a larger hobby machine? Just hoping to gather some thoughts before I reach out to the seller.

Pro's-
-heavy
- relatively local to me (Edmonton/Calgary)
-as close as I'll get to owning a Deckel or Schaublin
- looks complete -ish and has the vertical milling head with it (later photos in the ad)
-seems like a reasonable price

Con's
-heavy
- no idea on power (220?/three phase?) - the seller has a rotary phase converter also for sale at the same time - so that says something
- no quill - knee appears to be the only vertical feed so not really useful for drilling
- been sitting a while looks like
-probably won't get to see it under power before I buy
-could be clapped out
- no parts availability (would need to make/repair anything it needs)
-no tooling

Chipper5783

Yup, should be fine. That’s generally about how I buy a machine. Strictly speaking it is cheap. Very like that it is 3 phase (unless it has been converted - in its’ original format it would be 3 phase), the voltage is ??. The two most common I have seen are the “200v” (anywhere from 208, to 240 and will run fine on a residential power + converter) and “600v” (which means 575v - so you’d need a PC and a transformer, not a big deal). Of course you could repower the unit (which I have not done) which seems like quite a bit of work compared to simply providing the nameplate requirement (which I have done quite a few times). If it is a 440v machine, it is very possible that the motors are dual voltage - pretty easy to sort out.

I question your comment that it is not useful for drilling with out having a quill. Lots of pretty high class mills have been made which do not have quill travel - obviously quill travel is nice to have, but certainly not a show stopper.

You are correct that you’d be on your own for parts - but as long as the main items are present, it is likely smaller issues can be addressed.

Yes, of course it may be clapped out, but your risk is extremely low; meaning it could be a complete boat anchor, but very unlikely (and your exposure is $2500 plus the moving cost). It certainly has plenty of rust.

I agree one should always inspect a machine under power. I have bought a thirteen machines, only two were powered when I checked them out (several were disassembled - rusty pieces of iron and boxes of parts ). Generally, if a machine is clean, rust free, powered and runs great - then it is out of my price range.

As a project machine, that one looks pretty straight forward, likely to be a decent running machine. Don’t kid yourself, it is a project and be prepared to spend time, effort and a bit of cash getting it sorted out.

Perhaps more to the point is whether you are comfortable with the size/weight space requirements and don’t mind doing some mechanical work. Let us know how you make out.

Birkhoff

This looks like the kind of seller who will respond if asked about native power requirements, model number and such. With some luck a big inverter drive might power it, unless it is 7.5 hp or something. Some drives can also handle a range of output voltages but hitting 500-600v may rule out the cheaper options. Dufour produced a variety of machine classes according to Lathes.co.uk -- and there is a big footprint and weight difference between the smallest ones and the three hundred series. So model number might be the first question, followed by native electrics.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
it looks like a nice machine, and it comes with the vertical milling head - no quill.

I feel it is a little rich in price, but I'd be careful about discouraging anyone for that reason alone. If it is in decent nick (not too much backlash, the dovetails and flatways look good, and the motor and running gear works well without too much noise) Then you are getting far more machine with better capability then buying new at 2500$. I'd be inclined to offer 2000$ though, if I needed a mill, and didn't have one.

lenzh25

No response back from seller to my two simple questions on Thursday - model number and power requirement. I've been Kijiji'd and am moving on...

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
I wish people would at least let you know they got your email...I've had similar experiences in the past.

Been there, people wouldn’t do that in person but think on-line gives them permission :oops:

The guy finally replied and said he thought it was no big deal because he was doing someone a big favour by giving away something he didn’t need any more.

Yeah, and wasting other people’s time….kijidiots!

D :cool: