• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop turntable for grinders etc.

Shop

ColinB

I'm trying to make the best use of my one bay space. I've been thinking a lazy susan (e.g. https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/revolving-tool-station/) might be the way to mount my benchtop drill press, grinder, belt sander etc. The few I've found on the internet seem like they would vibrate too much, with just a barrel bolt, so I was think a drill press clamp might be a better way to control the rotation.
Has anyone made something like this for their small shop?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Were it me, I'd use a lazy susan bearing like this:

To lock it in place, I would use a lever clamp like a DaStCo clamp.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Here's my solution in my small crowded shop.
65N2P0S.jpg

Everything is usable in situ, without having to move anything, or plug/unplug tools. Long stock can be slid through the gap between cabinet and surface grinder.

If I was to do it over, I would lower the grinders 3". I still might do that, but it hasn't risen up the list enough yet to bother with it.

Martin w

Super User
View attachment 48493

Everything is usable in situ, without having to move anything, or plug/unplug tools. Long stock can be slid through the gap between cabinet and surface grinder.

If I was to do it over, I would lower the grinders 3". I still might do that, but it hasn't risen up the list enough yet to bother with it.
Nice well organized shop!

Martin w

Super User
I'm trying to make the best use of my one bay space. I've been thinking a lazy susan (e.g. https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/revolving-tool-station/) might be the way to mount my benchtop drill press, grinder, belt sander etc. The few I've found on the internet seem like they would vibrate too much, with just a barrel bolt, so I was think a drill press clamp might be a better way to control the rotation.
Has anyone made something like this for their small shop?
That’s a good idea.
We just built something similar for one of the attractions on Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls. I used some 1” flange bearings to make a couple rotating display cabinets. They weighed a couple hundred pounds and rotated freely with just a finger. You would need to have positive stops at each machine.
Cheers
Martin

ColinB

Were it me, I'd use a lazy susan bearing like this:

To lock it in place, I would use a lever clamp like a DaStCo clamp.
Yes, I was thinking the balls would wear into the plywood pretty quickly, without a large steel ring to run on. I think I have a leftover 12" lazy susan bearing, from when I made my hardware storage turntables....just need to find it. That is the style of clamp I was thinking of.

ColinB

View attachment 48493

I have my grinder and benchtop drill press back to back, like you, but on an old 15" section of kitchen cabinet. Maybe I just need a larger used cabinet, but I'm afraid it will intrude on my lathe standing space too much, while using it as an equipment island. Your grinders look uncomfortably high, for me.
I roll out my bandsaw, which I frequently switch between horizontal and vertical, to use it. It's light enough to angle for the stock to hang out.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Your grinders look uncomfortably high, for me.

Yes, they are. I more or less winged the design, and my goal was to be able to use the saw in situ without having to pull it out. I left a bit too much clearance and they are about 3-4" too high to be comfortable. One of these days i'll be bothered enough by it to chop that angle frame to drop them down. I'm out of easy room for stuff now, so it's like 3d tetris trying to piece things in there. My goal with everything in the shop is that it has to be usable where it is. I don't like having to get tools out to use them. Strange, but I find I'm WAY more productive that way, if everything has a permanent home and I can just hop out to the shop for 20-30 minutes and get working right away.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Strange, but I find I'm WAY more productive that way, if everything has a permanent home and I can just hop out to the shop for 20-30 minutes and get working right away.

YES! Love it!

That's one reason why surfaces make such great storage spaces! Who wants to make something inside a drawer! Also easy to find stuff that way as well as the constant reminder of where it is!

justin1

Super User
Im hoping to make something like when I get some free time,but smaller for a bench grinder stand so I can mount 2 grinders back to back.

But I didn't want to plug in each grinder after spinning I just wanted to leave plugged in so I bought one of these rotating wire connectors and was gonna use it to make a outlet on side of grinder bench so it spins with the table top.

EVTSCAN 150 RPM 3 Wires 20A High Current Conductive Slip Ring, Electrical Rotary Joint for Robotics, Wind Turbines https://a.co/d/2vvrf4T

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I've never done anything about it, but long thought a vertical carousal would be ideal for lower profile (i.e. bench top), less frequently used machines. Might get you 8 or 10 bench top surfaces where there used to be one. I'd use chain, heavy stuff you can bolt to like on various types of conveyors and have shelves hang from it. When in the "work station" position, a couple of toggles would secure it, i.e. lock the individual platform into position so it was solid.

They've even taken this approach and used it for domestic cupboard shelving.

1718105037035.jpeg

1718105156886.png

1718105228936.jpeg

1718105286009.jpeg