• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Touch Off Gauge

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry tom, but an MT3 has a similar problem to R8 - please let me explain.

You put a 1/2" end mill in either R8 or MT3, and it slips until it has been full collapsed in the spindle, making height setting nullified - but - neither r8 or mt3 will register at the precisely the same spot.

If you have an r8 or mt3 - to - er32 collet adapter, and then clamp that 1/2" end mill int the ER collet, you still cannot guarantee its Z height. that 's because while clamping in an r8 spindel it can be out .001 or .0015 by clamping it harder or softer. In mt3, the problem is even worse: you can easily overtighten an mt3 and shorten your tool by as much as .004. I have had this demonstrated to me, because I didn't believe it.

-- the problem is draw bar pressure. the CATxx and similar tool holders always register to exactly the same place and that is why CNC machines use that style or the Sandvik trilobe tool holders. there are now even more sophisticated tool holding systems for CNC but now I digress.
Is it the same if the tool change occurs only in the ER collet and the R8/MT arbor isn't moved?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
...you still cannot guarantee its Z height. that 's because while clamping in an r8 spindel it can be out .001 or .0015 by clamping it harder or softer. In mt3, the problem is even worse: you can easily overtighten an mt3 and shorten your tool by as much as .004. I have had this demonstrated to me, because I didn't believe it.

Interesting. Like you. I assumed it might be some amount but not that much. Is the MT3 deviation more that R8 because its a slightly more slender taper?

I've been using my Milwaukee cordless ratchet wrench on my drawbar mostly because its just convenient to reach the nut on my tippy toes. Once the socket is on, easy to spin on/off nice & quick. It does have a clutch but I never tighten the drawbar that much. I guess a guy could use a set point torque wrench for some consistency but on a manual machine with frequent tool changes & always measuring what you cut... its probably not as critical as CNC.