• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

TOS Surface grinder, $5900, Cambridge, ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
507b224c-e512-4d74-aec8-99a6eb990538

Chipper5783

I can somewhat vouch for it - I have a TOS BPH-20 (same work envelope). It is a very nice grinder to operate (though my sample size is only 2 machines). I see lots of shops getting rid of surface grinders - curious if there is a technology change that is driving down the demand? I know three machine shops that do a fair amount of general purpose work - with SG work being very seldom. What is with that?

justin1

Super User
I can somewhat vouch for it - I have a TOS BPH-20 (same work envelope). It is a very nice grinder to operate (though my sample size is only 2 machines). I see lots of shops getting rid of surface grinders - curious if there is a technology change that is driving down the demand? I know three machine shops that do a fair amount of general purpose work - with SG work being very seldom. What is with that?
I imagine CNC surface grinders and just easier access to CNC lathes and mills that hold pretty tight tolerances have something to do with it on top of less things getting rebuilt aswell as less things being manufactured in Canada.

Also cant think of much repair work or one offs need surface ground besides aesthetics reasons. I imagine cost to much to have things ground unless tolerances are really necessary