• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Torx vs Torx Plus

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just leave it to some design engineer to screw things up and complicate things even more.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Years ago I bought one of those multi-bit sets from PA, which has turned out to be pretty good in fact. It has lots of security bit sizes in it which is great for CCTV cameras. But I recall when I bought it there were duplicated Torx on different rows of the case. At first I thought you maybe got 2X the Torx because they expected you to use these the most. Then I swallowed my pride and got out the magnifying glass and discovered what this video nicely explains.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just leave it to some design engineer to screw things up and complicate things even more.
I have to admit I agree with you 50% of the time. The other 50% I spend looking like a fool as my son explains newer technology to me.

100% percent of the time I wonder how all these things managed to evolve without consulting me first.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Since one standard is good, making 5 new ones is 5X better. sigh. yet more drivers for my box (and a magnifier to tel which one to use)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
This is a big problem with Ford bed bolts. They are torx plus but not a lot of guys know the difference. They’ll grab a torx socket that fits, grab the impact gun and strip every single one. Then grumble at the chitty bolts Ford used

Don’t forget GM, can’t possibly use a T25 or a T30, nope GM wants to have a T27 size.

Might as well pile on to the external torx fasteners too. What is so wrong with a 6 point bolt?? Might as well toss in an honourable mention to Ford using 12 point bolts in their driveshafts, that’ll be fine in Canada in the salt. :mad:

Everett

Super User
I first came across the Torx Plus rebuilding transmissions and transfer cases. Like a lot of systems, at least it is still a standardized system even if it means buying more tools off the tool truck. What threw me was the "triple square" socket head cap screws on German cars, which of course wasn't the same corner angles as the "double hex" from Japanese cars, and Honda of course had to use 10-point bolts in some of their applications too, lol!

Suddenly makes the Whitworth and BA tools I had to invest in for the shaper seem not so odd in the end, lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reading this thread has me wondering how many of you know that not all Philips screws are Philips...... Some are JIS screws. It's the Japanese equivalent of a Philips Plus.

Most notable uses are in brake components in Japanese cars. The most famous is the little retainer screw that holds the brake disc in place till you get the wheel nuts on. Many a mechanic has messed that little bugger up needlessly.

It's a similar story to Torx Plus.

If your Philips screw driver won't work, try JIS instead.

Ya, better get some JIS bits while you are out getting your torx plus bits.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Now I need to get a set of Torx Plus bits. Sigh. Although, I can't remember where I got this set but it's saved my butt many, many times.

Attachments

• Bit Set.jpg
    Bit Set.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 10

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re JIS - there ya go. I naively assumed Pozidriv replaced Robertson & that was that. Maybe Pozidriv is more for N-Am/construction screws? But working on Japan machines, JIS makes sense.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re JIS - there ya go. I naively assumed Pozidriv replaced Robertson & that was that. Maybe Pozidriv is more for N-Am/construction screws? But working on Japan machines, JIS makes sense.