• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Toronto East End - Where to source Material and Tooling for the little guy

Steelbarz

Hi all, I recently moved to Toronto and am looking for Hobby machinist-friendly tooling and stock suppliers for my little machine shop. obvious sources are online and places like BusyBee for tooling but I am hoping for metal suppliers that are open to walk-in and small quantity stock purchases and a shop where I can get a new end mill when I need one NOW!

There are lots of shops and choices in Toronto for tooling.

As to small metal supplies, Metal Supermarket, McKinnon Metal, and another (sorry forget name). Unfortunately expect to pay.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'll second Mckinnon, and add in Mr Metal. Neither are in the east end. The east end gets screwed on quality suppliers.

Metal supermarkets if you dont mind getting hosed on prices.

Accusize for quality and affordability in markham.

Then the usual suspects, KBC, Atlas tools, Markham Industrial, Micronex...

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Mr. Metal was started by a friend of mine, I patronize when I can because he's a good guy and the prices are usually cheaper than MS. There are couple of MS east of the Parkway. For tools, kbc is ok, not always the best prices but a big catalogue, good service and quick shipping

Last edited:

Bruce Rossiter

I have some aluminum available for sale in small quantities as small a 1 foot. Below are some of the sizes that I have.
I'm located in the east end of Toronto and I should add that I'm not a business.

Aluminum

5/16 X 1.5 inches $4 a foot.

1/4 X 2 inches $6 a foot.

3/8 X 1 3/4 inches $6.50 a foot.

3/4 X 2 inches $19.50 a foot.

1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches $26 a foot.

7/8 inch round rod $7 a foot.

Brass

1/2 inch $25 a foot.

7/8 inch $60 a foot.

1-1/2 inch $100 a foot.

TMToronto

I have some aluminum available for sale in small quantities as small a 1 foot. Below are some of the sizes that I have.
I'm located in the east end of Toronto and I should add that I'm not a business.

Aluminum

Brass

1/2 inch $25 a foot.

7/8 inch $60 a foot.

1-1/2 inch $100 a foot.
Thank you for sharing this. Are these examples of material you have from time to time as off cuts from your work, or a one time selection?
I am in East York, and could use such aluminum for future projects, or to practice tool path strategies/test end mills.

Tom

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
all these east GTA people suddenly popping out of the woodwork.

Maybe I should start using the forum's "follow" feature to keep track of these people?

Bruce Rossiter

Thank you for sharing this. Are these examples of material you have from time to time as off cuts from your work, or a one time selection?
I am in East York, and could use such aluminum for future projects, or to practice tool path strategies/test end mills.

Tom
Hi Tom,
The metal is from a shop closeout and I've had it for 25 years. Some of the lengths are up to 12 feet long and is new metal. I thought it might be time to make it available to others and hopefully it will give me more shop space. Any of the aluminum I have can be supplied in lengths from 1 foot and up.

TMToronto

Hi Tom,
The metal is from a shop closeout and I've had it for 25 years. Some of the lengths are up to 12 feet long and is new metal. I thought it might be time to make it available to others and hopefully it will give me more shop space. Any of the aluminum I have can be supplied in lengths from 1 foot and up.
Great news, thank you. My first project in aluminum will be a vacuum fixture plate using cast aluminum plate - I found a source for that. But I will keep your material in mind for my next projects. Could you share your approximate location - postal code perhaps?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

Aluminum

Brass

1/2 inch $25 a foot.

7/8 inch $60 a foot.

1-1/2 inch $100 a foot.
I'll definitely be hitting you up for some pieces of aluminum and brass once my lathe is operational

Bruce Rossiter

Great news, thank you. My first project in aluminum will be a vacuum fixture plate using cast aluminum plate - I found a source for that. But I will keep your material in mind for my next projects. Could you share your approximate location - postal code perhaps?
I'm close to McCowan Rd. and Lawrence Ave.

Aluminum

Brass

1/2 inch $25 a foot.

7/8 inch $60 a foot.

1-1/2 inch $100 a foot.
I compared to my last purchase about 3 months ago mind you its wholesale costing.

It is definitely less than Metal Supermarket by at least a 3rd and double most my recent wholesale cost (mind you I'm generally buying at least 1,000lbs at a time).

For those on the group looking for small quantities its worth your money.

Bruce Rossiter

I compared to my last purchase about 3 months ago mind you its wholesale costing.

It is definitely less than Metal Supermarket by at least a 3rd and double most my recent wholesale cost (mind you I'm generally buying at least 1,000lbs at a time).

For those on the group looking for small quantities its worth your money.
Thanks for your reply. I priced it from a US site and lowered the price a bit more. Hopefully it will help other machinists.