• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tormach or Hass

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
First question, are you hoping to make money with it, or is it for hobby use?

I own a Tormach PCNC1100S3 (last version before the mx). I run Haas machines (including a vf2) daily at work. IMO the Tormach is fine for the hobby grade stuff I use it for at home. If I was anchoring my business with it however, I would go for the VF2 without question. Especially for the cost that new Tormach's go for these days. At it's core the Tormach is a hobby machine with add ons that dress sit up like an industrial machine. IMO they've priced themselves out of the market they created/carved out for themselves, and are now at a price point competing with other machines that would run circles around them. I don't have a toolchanger on mine, but from what I hear the toolchangers are not the most reliable anyway. One reason I wouldn't rely on it for business. You need to buy time, not have to babysit the machine all day. The haas (or any other industrial machine) wins that hands down. But not without downsides. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I can elaborate on more specifics if you like.

The only reason I'd choose a Tormach over the Haas is for space, and power concerns. Price is one too, but if you have the work/products to support it, it is less of an issue IMO. The first 2 reasons are why one is in my garage. Machine wise, the Haas wins hands down. I don't regret my purchase, but I use it differently, and for different things than the machines at work. I also didn't pay new prices for it either....

If you want to make a trip out to the east GTA (near the 407/115 interchange) you're more than welcome to come check out my Tormach.

First question, are you hoping to make money with it, or is it for hobby use?

I own a Tormach PCNC1100S3 (last version before the mx). I run Haas machines (including a vf2) daily at work. IMO the Tormach is fine for the hobby grade stuff I use it for at home. If I was anchoring my business with it however, I would go for the VF2 without question. Especially for the cost that new Tormach's go for these days. At it's core the Tormach is a hobby machine with add ons that dress sit up like an industrial machine. IMO they've priced themselves out of the market they created/carved out for themselves, and are now at a price point competing with other machines that would run circles around them. I don't have a toolchanger on mine, but from what I hear the toolchangers are not the most reliable anyway. One reason I wouldn't rely on it for business. You need to buy time, not have to babysit the machine all day. The haas (or any other industrial machine) wins that hands down. But not without downsides. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I can elaborate on more specifics if you like.

The only reason I'd choose a Tormach over the Haas is for space, and power concerns. Price is one too, but if you have the work/products to support it, it is less of an issue IMO. The first 2 reasons are why one is in my garage. Machine wise, the Haas wins hands down. I don't regret my purchase, but I use it differently, and for different things than the machines at work. I also didn't pay new prices for it either....

If you want to make a trip out to the east GTA (near the 407/115 interchange) you're more than welcome to come check out my Tormach.
I may take you up on that offer.

To be fair I already have CNC (Acorn in a small kneemill) and can definitely see the potential, its making the right decision with in certain economic and power supply limits.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
My choice would be the HAAS VF2 as well. Years ago, I dealt with a sales fella at HAAS ( Neil Sideway ) I'm thinking it must be 16-18 years ago or so now. Lost contact with him over the years, not sure if he is still around.

If you stray away from the HAAS, Which, I would encourage you to do during these times....
The Smart Machine Tool is also a good choice, made in Korea.

I know of a few smaller shops that are quite happy with them for the $. They can get the job done. Get a deal on a lathe and mill and your set.
See if you can swing the 6 months... 0 down, 0 payments complete with tooling....

My choice would be the HAAS VF2 as well. Years ago, I dealt with a sales fella at HAAS ( Neil Sideway ) I'm thinking it must be 16-18 years ago or so now. Lost contact with him over the years, not sure if he is still around.

If you stray away from the HAAS, Which, I would encourage you to do during these times....
The Smart Machine Tool is also a good choice, made in Korea.

I know of a few smaller shops that are quite happy with them for the $. They can get the job done. Get a deal on a lathe and mill and your set.
See if you can swing the 6 months... 0 down, 0 payments complete with tooling....
Thanks something I'll look into.