• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool transformation question

Murdoch

I just have to ask.
Is it possible to transform an English wheel into a bead roller by just switching the dies?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've never operated an English wheel before but I have a bead roller.... I doubt it would work. The pressure needed for the bead roller is fairly high and then you need to "crank" the material through with moving rollers as opposed to the English wheel where you push the material through and thus moving the wheels.

Don

Tom O

Ultra Member
It can be done on some types of wheeling machines but it is built into it. I have one from Princess auto that works ok but requires 2 people to operate.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I just have to ask.
Is it possible to transform an English wheel into a bead roller by just switching the dies?

Interesting question. I'd had both in the past. English wheels you move the sheet; bead rollers typically are hand operated (need two people optimally) or powered w/ foot switch (much easier). I think you might need to be Superman to make it work @Murdoch. You certainly couldn't have girlie hands as you'd be forcing the sheet through a small space (the groove). English wheels address a much larger surface area as well as a more gradual curve. Imagine a bead roller as a pinched and more profound English wheel. Especially on 16 gauge, I'd be cryin' like a schoolgirl.

That said, who knows. If you get it to work please let me know!