• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Post Grinder

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Back in the 1970's I purchased an electric Craftsman Die grinder for a job I was doing. Shortly after I found the matching tool post mount on clearance at Sears. I even still have the collet reducer to use 1/8 shank stones. They've been on the shelf ever since so last week I dug them out and modified the mount to fit the tool post on my lathe. I've never used a tool post grinder but I did some tests and I think it has possibilities. What I don't understand is what stones get used for what applications? I have a collection of both 1/8 and 1/4 inch shank mounted stones but no information as to what they are? Grey, Pink and sand colored. Any I found on line seem to come in sets and have no information as to what they are? I do know the pale blue ones are for polishing aluminum. Suggestions?

PXL_20241012_194318353.jpg

PXL_20241012_194446462.jpg

PXL_20241012_200339543.MP.jpg

PXL_20241014_164844794.jpg

This disc wheel style would probably serve you best because you probably don't have the power or rigidity for a wider contact. Ensure that its dressed in-situ with a diamond dressing tool (cover the ways). Some even cant the wheel/grinder in a few degrees so only the edge cuts & then degrades to wider & wider band as grinding progresses. Go with the bigger shank diameter because it will deflect less. Grinding is a whole science unto itself but what we might consider as coarse grit like #60 might make a better surface & develop less heat. The aggregate is usually dictated by what you are grinding, hardened vs unhardened. Aluminum oxide is fine for many steels I wouldn't expect miracles because die grinder bearings are not going to compete with typical spindle bearings. It may be shiny if that's what you are after but that is different than hitting a dimensional target to tenths.

Just go easy, slow, shallow DOC. Lock the ways between each pass. I recommend some kind of independent fine graduation dial indicator to track progress vs your lathe dials unless you have reliable DRO.

1728955505196.png

Any idea where to source the thinner disk type wheels. I found some on Amazon that are courser and 1 1/2 inch diameter but when I got them they are a 6 mm shank and don't fit my 1/4 inch chuck. THANKS

Any idea where to source the thinner disk type wheels
I would start with a known manufacturer of grinding wheels. Here is a link to Norton mounted stones (for example).

If you expand the search, they give you applications, properties, specs, etc.

when I got them they are a 6 mm shank and don't fit my 1/4 inch chuck

That is common. Make your own 6mm collet or make a sleeve.

If I grind dry, I also use a shop vac to control the dust.

Some form of coolant / wet grinding tends to give better results.

Increasing / decreasing work spindle rpm can help with surface finish as well. Typically one needs lots of spark out passes because of tool deflection.

Plus everything else what Peter mentioned above.

Back