• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Titanium Round Bar

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Hello All,

I recently got some materials from an auction lot. While some are cool and I have a use for, others are just not usable or logical for me to use. Please see the information on the Titanium for sale below.

Titanium:

4" Dia Round - Grade 5 - 6.25" long $625

4" Dia Round - Grade 5 - 8.75" long $875

I am pretty sure I cannot cut this stuff so I'm not interested in selling small chunks. If you are really interested in the material and want to discuss it or its price, please message me here.

Located: Calgary, Alberta

I'll throw this out as general info, as it seems appropriate.

Based what titanium I have used (Ti-6Al-4V, which a quick check says is what you have) HSS tooling cuts it just fine.

We used a regular cutoff band saw for cutting down bars. Use a sharp blade, run not very fast, use coolant, and NEVER allow the pressure to let up during the cut, as sliding the teeth over the cut can work harden the surface, and then life gets miserable.

Milling, drilling, or turning, are all pretty straightforward, lower surface speeds than you might think, MUST keep cutting edges sharp, listen carefully for any squeaking that might be evidence of an edge starting to go, get the tool out, and touch it up or replace it with a sharp one. Like I said above, most of the 6Al-4V Ti I cut, was done with hand ground, HSS tooling, so it was really easy to do a very quick touch-up on the working edge. Drilling can get very bad, very fast, and you end up burning the end off a drill if you simply try to brute force it. You become either very expensive to keep around (replacing drills with new) or very adept as hand grinding drill bits, as you peck your way through the miserable work hardened mess down in the bottom of a hole that has been allowed to rub too long!

Last edited:
Back