• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tirpitz Steel?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@Bremen , @PeterT , and others.....

More out of curiosity than anything else, I'm just asking a question to you knife makers out there...

Is Tirpitz damascus the real deal? I see these beautiful Tirpitz knives advertised and, although way out of my price range, I often wonder if they are legit. I have no real interest in knives, but I can totally see the attraction of wanting one of these. Having said that I'm undecided on the ethical question of whether this is proper or not.

https://www.bokerusa.com/tirpitz-damascus-110190dam

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Indeed... in a strange way I have a connection to the location as my Dad was to be part of the raid on Spitzbergen. But he got the mumps and was pulled.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Indeed... in a strange way I have a connection to the location as my Dad was to be part of the raid on Spitsbergen. But he got the mumps and was pulled.
Wow. So cool. I wish my dad had lived long enough so that I could have learned and appreciated his service in WWII. I think there was a movie about the Spitsbergen raid.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Indeed, I was very fortunate. I have his paybooks, service decorations, propaganda leaflets he collected, a route map stamped "Top Secret", and a bunch of other things from his five years overseas. Sicily, Italy, France, Holland.

SimonM

The Dam busters is a fascinating book about the squadron that led the raid against the Tirpitz. Those boys were beyond brave.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It looks legit but what do I know about blades. In a way (personal opinion) almost seems like a fitting way to harvest & re-purpose the material. It used to be this in times of conflict, now its something else in times of (relative) peace & will live on for many years in a different, more humble form. Unfortunately there is a lot of valuable history rotting away under oceans or dirt, or museums for that matter. Not to point fingers but <ahem> the Harrison clocks.

There is big thing going on now with Japanese knife steel showing up by manufacturers in.... starts with a C and ends with Hina. The familiar Fake-a-roo issue. Yes buyer beware just like Miteetoyo calipers, but its just wrong at a more fundamental issue IMO. Make your own sh*t & stop pretending to be something else. If its a good product it will sell on its own merit. I just don't get that mentality.