• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop Time to get organized. Well, slightly.

Shop

Stuart Samuel

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Finally pulled the trigger on a welding table. Kovosu (Chinese company with a good reputation) was having a sale on machined cast iron grid hole tables, and decided it was time.

So…

Now I need to figure out how my back room changes to accommodate a 32” x 52” table, and how to keep it from being constantly covered in junk.

Room is just over 14’ x 12’. Ceiling is 11’6 if it’s relevant.

North wall:
IMG_3472.webp
East wall:
IMG_3473.webp
South wall:
IMG_3474.webp
West wall:
IMG_3476.webp

Shot of the DoAll that I need to wire up, for fun:IMG_3475.webp

First, I think at least one workbench needs to go. I built four 2’x4’ benches, with holes in the legs so I could bolt them together either back to back or end to end, thinking it’d be nice and flexible. Three became horizontal storage almost immediately, obvious mistake. I pulled one of them off the south wall about two months ago, and stuck it in the front room opposite the lathe, to give myself somewhere to work on that. (It’s moving along, keep meaning to post about the ups and downs there, mostly downs)

My current thinking has the welding table on the north wall, where the ladders, rolling mill and bandsaw are. Rolling mill will stay and go somewhere, bandsaw needs to find a new home (if anyone’s looking). Drill press in the southeast corner should probably go as well, as I have the big drill press in the front room for big stuff, and I should get the little Burgmaster running for small stuff (previous owner ran it for a while when it wasn’t indexing properly :(

My thinking is thus:

I don’t generally have lots of free time, at this point in my life. Work eats up 50+ hours a week, I get some sleep occasionally, and help friends and family with things.

So, I’d like a space where I can get going in as little time as possible. I made a list a while ago of tasks that, ideally, I’d like to be able to walk up and do with little to no prep.

- Welding (just TIG) / torch work (soldering/brazing, hot bending
- Mechanical/electronics assembly/repair
- Drilling either press or rotary tool (hanging on the bench next to the DoAll, I made a mount that uses the holes in every bench leg)
- Grinding/sanding, mostly with the 2x72 grinder in the northeast corner, next to the welder. I don’t love how that setup creates a dead zone in the corner, which has led to the welder being parked there (next to a great source of dust…), but I like that it keeps the floor underneath clear and easy to sweep. Again, bracket for the grinder just bolts to the bench with the standard holes, so it could move around.

Writing it down, it doesn’t feel impossible. First steps, a) make it easier to put things away properly the first time, rather than gradually over months, and b) figure out what machines need to go to a new home.

On ‘b)’, I need to get the DoAll wired up and decide if I’m happy with it, for how much space it uses. The small bandsaw need to go, the drill press in the corner needs to go, and I need to decide if I want to sell the Miller welder and buy a Chinese inverter machine instead.

I LOVE threads like this. I embarked on a similar journey a couple years ago when I went on a mission to actually setup my shop for efficient workflow and organization because, like you, I had limited time, and wanted to get stuff done without spending 50% of projects just shuffling stuff and tools around. It's tough at the start, but gets easier, and is SO worth it. There's never enough room, but do what you can with what you have. I wish I had more separation between dirty tools, and clean tools, but it's not that bad.

I tried sketching stuff out, at one point years ago had some 2d cad models of my machines to figure it out, but in the end just did it the old fashioned way with a tape measure and eyecrometer and just moving them around, and figuring it out. Took a couple layouts at first, but the current one functions pretty good for the small space. One thing that helped me out a lot was those cheap shelf brackets and plywood scraps. Just getting stuff up off the floor, benches, machine tables etc and in a spot on the wall allowed me to keep moving forward. Being cheap and temporary they went up quick, but were easy to change around as the space evolved. But without them, I just seemed to keep doing that dance where you pick something up, turn around and set it down, then do it again a couple days later.....Making a spot for stuff, even if temporary kept the ball rolling forward. Once the big stuff fell into place, I could go back and refine those smaller areas and shelves. They're still a work in progress in my shop, but turn into fun little weeknight projects sometimes.

You have a nice space, and some cool tools (love that roller). I'm looking forward to following this one and see it come together.

Like a lot of us, I had more schooling, I have a PHD, this stands for---- Piled, Higher, and, ,Deeper. Very useful in the shop. I also have a B.S. degree.--- there are days I can B.S with the best of them, thankfully, not everyday, all day.
Always seems there are more tools, materials to be had, lesser places to put anything/everything, more projects, not enough time or money.
Just pick one, no, sorry not that one, today!

I LOVE threads like this. I embarked on a similar journey a couple years ago when I went on a mission to actually setup my shop for efficient workflow and organization because, like you, I had limited time, and wanted to get stuff done without spending 50% of projects just shuffling stuff and tools around. It's tough at the start, but gets easier, and is SO worth it. There's never enough room, but do what you can with what you have. I wish I had more separation between dirty tools, and clean tools, but it's not that bad.

I tried sketching stuff out, at one point years ago had some 2d cad models of my machines to figure it out, but in the end just did it the old fashioned way with a tape measure and eyecrometer and just moving them around, and figuring it out. Took a couple layouts at first, but the current one functions pretty good for the small space. One thing that helped me out a lot was those cheap shelf brackets and plywood scraps. Just getting stuff up off the floor, benches, machine tables etc and in a spot on the wall allowed me to keep moving forward. Being cheap and temporary they went up quick, but were easy to change around as the space evolved. But without them, I just seemed to keep doing that dance where you pick something up, turn around and set it down, then do it again a couple days later.....Making a spot for stuff, even if temporary kept the ball rolling forward. Once the big stuff fell into place, I could go back and refine those smaller areas and shelves. They're still a work in progress in my shop, but turn into fun little weeknight projects sometimes.

You have a nice space, and some cool tools (love that roller). I'm looking forward to following this one and see it come together.
I appreciate the optimism, Dan.
I have my doubts some (most) days.

I’ve been meaning to deal with material storage for years, and I think the west wall is the spot. Unfortunately, that’s the only non-masonry wall in the room, so I can’t just epoxy anchors into it (I don’t think my neighbour would appreciate the attempt, either).

Hmm. The plywood thing is an interesting idea. I can mount things to the brick/cinderblock, but ply would be nice in that I could just jab a wood screw in wherever, with out needing to drill first. Maybe I hang sheets of ply in a couple spots, horizontally…

Back