• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Thrift Store Score

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
IMG_6698.jpegWas at my least-favourite thrift store. Store is 10,000 ft2 of junk crammed into 3,000 ft2. Found this Fluke 77 multimeter, original box, test leads, manuals, and unused warning labels. Grabbed some spare change from the car and bought it. May be the best $8 meter I own.

Manual in the box is dated 1984. Comparing my digital meters, Power Fist, no-name from eBay that came with my Arduino kit, Fluke 77, and brand new Southwire. Little white box is a USB/battery adjustable power supply. Very handy and plugs directly into strip board. I'm happy.

IMG_3445.jpegIMG_3447.jpegIMG_3446.jpeg

Manual in the box is dated 1984.

I seem to recall the first flukes used an average to establish AC voltage instead of RMS. You might want to check that just so you know what it does.

Nice score. Nice meter.

Nice score! I have the exact model and vintage of meter in my tool box, got it as a gift from my Dad when I was 16. He was working in the instrument shop at a mine in BC and sometimes meters got damaged in one way or another by others and went in the trash bin. Dad would collect them and he made me one out of 3 damaged ones that would have been thrown out otherwise. He even checked calibration on it before giving it to me. Almost 30 years later it's still my favorite meter, even over my $600 Blue Point at work.
I would agree it's 8 bucks well spent, you even got the original box! :D

By the way that is an Air Canada calibration sticker on it. Like to know the story of how it ended up in a thrift shop.

Can you supply a better photo of the bar code on it? (FTN 6 digit alpha numeric)

By the way that is an Air Canada calibration sticker on it. Like to know the story of how it ended up in a thrift shop.

Can you supply a better photo of the bar code on it? (FTN 6 digit alpha numeric)
IMG_3440.jpeg

On the right side of the unit there is a barcode. At the top it should say Air Canada and then a 6 digit code. I'll tell you the history of the unit.

GREAT SCORE!

Fluke even old or super old are just great and have CAT ratings that are meaningful (safe).

I have a 87 as well as a swap meet special 8020, paid next to nothing because the battery connector was broken. I trust it more than most of the new fake CAT rated junk that seems to be everywhere now.

This is a worthwhile read:

I would not trust the safety ratings on those Powerfist meters, the 830 has no fuse whatsoever, accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Back