• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Threading Insert Tool holder

Geoff

I have a bunch of 60 Deg. threading inserts so I thought I would rip up an insert holder for them. It turned out very well! Fairly easy to do. I just used 1" by 1" square bar (mild steel). Placed the insert in the desired location and scribed around it for a guideline. Setup the work piece in the mill at the desired angled (which is 60 Deg. fpr this insert) and slowly milled out the triangular section for the insert. I cut a relief at the bottom tip of the triangle which lets the insert seat well and also makes it easier to mill out! Once that was done, I located the hole to secure the insert by placing the insert in it's position and using a pin gauge to fit exact. Drilled and tapped 8-32 hole and the rest is gravy! I milled away some of the stock to make the shank 1/2". This took me about 2 hours and the most time consuming part was setting my vise at exactly 60 Deg. I did this by using a 60 Deg angle block and running up and down with a dial test indicator until the needle stayed on zero for the length of the angle block.

All in all this was a good little project and it didn't really cost me anything as I had all of the materials on hand (except for a 8-32 tap!!).

Attachments

• Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 21 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 21 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 36 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 04 36 PM.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 06 00 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 06 00 PM.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 06 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 06 PM.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 27 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-2-2016, 5 08 27 PM.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 18

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks really good. I've been meaning to make a (rotating) chamfering / counter-sinking tool using some inserts I have. Re the retention bolt, for some reason I thought it was a non-standard angle (ie not 82-deg or whatever typical flat heads are) & that had to be matched for proper seating or risk cracking the insert. Did you find that or maybe its a marketing thing to buy their hardware. Mine are torx head & a real fine pitch thread. I just assumed I would use them to avoid any issues, but I haven't got that far to check the thread.

Geoff

I have made a few different tool holders now and I have used various retaining screws. I made a holder for DNMG inserts and if I recall, I just used a 5/16-28 with a flat head, or something like that. The holder itself secures the insert in place and I have never had any issues with them!! This threading toolholder is similar however the inserts have a countersink so I just used a 8-32 screw that seemed to fit the insert. Again it feels really solid and the cutout where the insert fits into provides the bulk if the support.

I hope this helps!