Other Third world ingenuity

wmetfab

Heres a bit of third world ingenuity.

A couple interesting hacks u will enjoy... 4 jaw holds the 3 jaw, toolpost grinder and live tooling!

Notice the flipflops and birds singing in the background.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Flip flops are commonly used in machining, for the ease of cleaning out chips:rolleyes: I'm sure the rain showers keep the lathe clean.
I do appreciate the ingeniousness of these guys. We tend to turn up our noses and sniff at the beat and worn, chipped crap they have and use. They still get 'er done.

AlanJo

Necessity is the mother of invention. This takes me back to my youth on my uncles farm. All the inventions in their little shop (I remember a power hacksaw, in particular). My cousins grew to become brilliant mechanics. Larry rebuilt a transmission from the John Deere tractor in the farmyard. It was technically a very sophisticated machine. I remember floating pistons, 12 of them, I think. And though I am fairly mechanically inclined there was no way I could understand how it worked. Larry's brother went on to be an airline mechanic for Air Canada. They had an old (1952?) IH 2 ton truck that they converted into a water tanker for fertilizer/herbicide use. Very under powered with a flat-head six so they bought an old Ford sedan with a 390 auto. They stuffed that engine into the truck and mated it to the 2-speed rear axle. The job took them less than 24 hours. They are still kiinda heroes to me.