• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The shipping Boondoggle

Ironman

Ultra Member
I ordered a mulberry and a couple of Capilano apricots from Wiffletree Nursery in Onterrible. They sent me a great product and considering it was bare root trees and the mulberry was potted, the packing was wonderfully done and I have great respect for them.
Then it went sideways. Shipping was done by Fedex. Fedex will not deliver to my house, but the driver will phone to let me know I have a package and I can go out about 4 km and wait, he will stop and give it to me. Until now. The package took 3 days to arrive in Edmonton, then they claimed internal delays for the next week. I failed to get through their AI and chat crap, and finally got an agent who said again, internal delay is all we know.
My wife, who is more tolerant of incompetence, called and spoke to another agent, after the normal struggle. She told us they had put it into the mail and gave us a tracking number. It was delivered to a town post office 30km away, and then resent to my post box yesterday.
What did I pay $70 shipping for?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
wow. That's incompetence. My Post Office sources tell me this has been common practice for a long time. sheesh.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've had problems with both UPS and FedEx lately. OTOH, I tried to order 10 more plastic boxes and the North American Rep in Calgary told me not in stock and I'd have to order 50. I'd had my US client order 8 that were in stock at the US rep cleaning out their stock. The US rep wouldn't ship to Canada.

So I went looking. Found 10 in Poland. Arrived 3 days later.

Then there's the Rum ordered from Georgia. Shipped ground. Marked only as a gift. Hung up in customs for a week. Have not yet received the customs/brokerage invoice. Will be high I'll bet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just heard that Canada post is considering only making deliveries 3 days a week - M, W, & F.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just heard a red neck rumour that it will be 2 or 3 days a week with no schedule. Guessing that's so they can use the same delivery guy on different routes.

Articles are being posted nationwide. Here is one from Vancouver:

Ironman

Ultra Member
wow. That's incompetence. My Post Office sources tell me this has been common practice for a long time. sheesh.
The other common practice in Post Office employees is theft, according to our postmistress. She has had items stolen from herself as well. I had ordered a Lee casting pot, from the uS. It came into Mississauga and then "somebody" paid the duty on it and took it home. The post office could see who it was but refused to give me the name, which is why the union will not allow cameras in the sorting area.
I don't know who to ship with anymore.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
The other common practice in Post Office employees is theft
I ordered some diamond sharpening stones from lee valley and a few other trinkets. When it was dropped off by the courier (can’t remember if it was FedEx or Purolator), the driver pretty much threw it into my arms and left. By the time the thought of “this seems too light” went through my head he was gone. Lee Valley uses their own packing tape and I could see the box had been cut open and then taped back up with clear tape. Probably not the courier driver but I suspect he knew it had been opened and didn’t want to stay around for the hassle.

Lee Valley said this happens more than they would like. They shipped replacements no trouble and told me to keep the box since the courier company would want to see photos of it. So I kept the box for about 3 months, and they called about 2 weeks after I threw it out…

Now I check all packages for tampering and videotape the unboxing…

JustaDB

Ultra Member
The other common practice in Post Office employees is theft...
Have a friend who used to work in the Vancouver sorting office years ago. Every Christmas their sewer system would back up from opened envelopes flushed down the toilet. Ask me how much I despise snivelling servants... :mad: