• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The little snowblower that couldn't

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
We, like most got a pretty good dumping of snow last night. My little old 24" craftsman blower made it through the morning driveway fluff ok, but when I took a break for lunch, and went back out to help the neighbor do the side road the sun had changed the snow from some nice medium fluff, to heavy wet stuff.
2MQvmRvl.jpg

Eu5BxRBl.jpg

A8mTrrYl.jpg

I tried to make one pass down the side road (about 250') that took 40 minutes, and then this happened on the way back. I hit a root at the bottom of my driveway, and it broke in half. One of the impeller housing brackets broke off and the other was hanging on my a thread.
d1Zbykkl.jpg

I picked this blower up cheap after the first snowfall because my Jeep broke. See a trend here..... It was old and had issues (Friction disc tensioner that I already fixed), but I got it cheap and figured I could squeeze another winter out of it, and give it a good going over in the spring....Almost made it too... Even my wife got a good chuckle out of this one. That's ok because I have a shop and can fix stuff right?

The old mounting brackets had cracked off, and looking at them it's been a while in the making. I cut them out, and all the cracked/rusted areas around them, then did some Irish CAD for filler pieces.
Y0urWn9l.jpg

If there is anything more Canadian that a guy fixing a snowblower in march wearing shorts, using a beer case for template material, I'd like to know.

I found a 1/8" off cut that fit the bill and some quick portaband action later, I had my patch panels.
tWLKZZvl.jpg

oD9lCPkl.jpg

Next, I needed to round the edge over to match the impeller housing so I did some incremental hammer bending in the vise. Probably would have been easier to work hot, but I didn't have a way to heat it up handy and close by...
I7S8D6nl.jpg

A5Rw3h3l.jpg

BKm3Djcl.jpg

Came out not too bad, and was mildly therapeutic.....

Then it was time to wheel the welder over to the door and weld them in.
dMsHaevl.jpg

tsNMuNkl.jpg

bZaR11Dl.jpg

YdxFJfQl.jpg

Not my best work, but it'll hold. It's a beater snowblower, not a concourse car restoration....Blew through in a few spots and had to build it back up. Pretty thin sheetmetal on the housing, so I just went with the full pen tack method and jumped around keeping the puddle on the patch and letting it wet out into the hosing, as everytime I tried to run a stringer it blew through. Meatball surgery. Was under a bit of a time crunch on this one as I had a Dad/Daughter AYCE Sushi date at 5:00 I wasn't going to miss, so the whole repair up to that point only took about 30-40 minutes including the pics to bring you guys along. Was planning on welding in the brackets and buttoning it back up when I got home under the lights, but too much Sashimi, and about 1.5km running the neighbors tracked honda blower doing the side road after doing mine made me put it off until tomorrow in the daylight. A lot of snow was moved today.

So I'm left here, not sure If I'll reuse the old brackets, or make new. There's almost as much work in grinding off the old welds and cleaning them up to weld as it would be to make new. That'll be morning Dan's problem. But I'm leaning towards new from the same 1/8" sheet.
hJbE7mTl.jpg

This was the first time I really got to take advantage of all the work I've put into the shop over the past few months/year, and it was an absolute joy to be able to jump from task to task without a big production to move everything all the time. Even though my welding bench is full of the current in process project...... I used to dread repairs like this, and they'd get put off forever because of it. I wish I had a more space in the shop to bring it inside though because the apple tree that hangs over the driveway dropped a big snowball down my neck as I was welding, that was a nice unexpected surprise. I've had hot bb's fall down my neck before, but never a snowball lol.
rxVuCBjl.jpg

I hate that tree....

I'll be back in the morning to post up the finished repair. If there's any interest in these low brow WIP posts I'll keep posting them up. I have a few more waiting for the snowmelt. I usually don't even take pics, but having a nice organized shop to work in now free'd up a lot of time from continually moving stuff around lol. I run into a lot of stuff like this being cheap and buying old junk because I can fix it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If there is anything more Canadian that a guy fixing a snowblower in march wearing shorts, using a beer case for template material, I'd like to know.

You just need to stop shaving the fur off of those legs of yours...... And maybe wear sandals or snow shoes or better yet go barefoot....... Other than that it all looks GREAT TO ME!

I'll be back in the morning to post up the finished repair. If there's any interest in these low brow WIP posts I'll keep posting them up.

If this isn't hobby metal working at its finest, then nothing is. Keep it coming Dan!

Oh yes, and very well done! VERY WELL DONE INDEED!

fixerup

Super User
Good fixing!! That's why we have our shop and all those tools. Most people don't have shop to be able to do these repairs and the cost of getting it done would be more than the snowblower is worth. With the $$$ saving you will be able to enjoy a few sushi outings with your daughter.

If your snowblower is rotting badly, check the brackets which holds the hogger section to the drive section. If those brackets are not holding the two halves properly there will be flexing between the two and the pulleys will miss align and chew your hogger belt over time.

Thanks for posting!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Agreed, and great repair eh. Is that tree a Norway maple, if it is those things drop branches like hair off an old dog.
2A01B0A3-9A2B-4F1B-950C-96360FD0E115.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
things drop branches like hair off an old dog.

And Manitoba maple bugs that cover brick walls, window frames, and doors between orgies.......

I don't allow Manitoba maples to survive in my area. No natural predators for the damn bugs.

2007-oct-13_boxelderbug.jpg

boxelder-bugs-cover.jpg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's all done and back together. I decided to just reuse the original brackets as they were the path of least resistance. I also checked out the bottom bracket and noticed it cracked as well, so it got some attention too.
b7NGULwl.jpg

8Dn5ABcl.jpg

They cleaned up pretty good with a wire wheel and flap disc, so I bolted them to the frame and tilted the blower housing up into place on the lower bracket to get a couple good tacks in there to secure their position so I could take it apart to weld it fully. I used a garbage can to support the handles, and my knees to lift up the housing to close the gap while I welded it.
2PmHiRNl.jpg

l4CGP4Dl.jpg

6JXSslXl.jpg

With the hard part done, it's time to put it back together. Too cold to paint. But I probably wouldn't anyway....The weather is just a convenient excuse. I might do it when it warms up, as there are a few more things I want to fix later on this.
6ljgVK0l.jpg

One last thing to do after lunch is fix the pullcord. It broke too....Jr is going to learn a valuable life skill today. I learned how to do it when I was about his age, and if I teach him I won't have to do it anymore just like my Dad didn't lol.
vfaqNU9l.jpg

My recently reorganized shop storage makes it easy to find where things are.

The auger belt on it is nearing death too, but it should last for at least another snowfall. Hopefully that's all we get the rest of this winter..... I have a pile of belts back at the barn, but I wasn't puting on the snowshoes to trek back there to find out there isn't one that fits. I bought a large lot of them at a farm auction for $2 about 10 years ago, and so far haven't been able to use a single one of them lol. The ones in that bin are for the mowers.

Hopefully I can squeeze another few years out of it to keep doing the small stuff around the house and propane tanks, that's why I bought a 24" instead of a larger once. I have a bigger one I'm building for the front of my Kubota mower that I have a few things left to sort out on (powered chute and cab) that should serve me well I just ran out of time before the snow started flying this year. My plow jeep has been on it's death bed for a while, and was just hoping to squeeze another winter out of it before sending it to scrap, but it wasn't meant to be. I paid $500 for it 10 years ago, and it doesn't owe me a thing. I did have to replace the back half of the frame, but that justified the purchase of a plasma cutter so I call it even :D. Dollar wise I don't know anybody around that has spent this little on snow removal over the years, all the neighbors have high dollar fancy tractors and stuff, but not me. :D. I don't know why I'm so proud of that lol. I'd rather put my money into shop equipment. I was really nice running the neighbors new tracked honda though. Electric chute.....Enough to spoil a poor boy like me :D.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's all done and back together. I decided to just reuse the original brackets as they were the path of least resistance. I also checked out the bottom bracket and noticed it cracked as well, so it got some attention too.

There is something funky going on with my old Toro push blower. It might be a cracked or broken bracket too. It doesn't want to stay level. At first I thought it was tire pressure, then a skid plate. None of the above.

You are giving me an excuse to have a good close look at it the next time the geriatric nurse goes to town.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Your a tougher man than me. No shorts round here till late june or maybe july.
I had to wear pants today. A little colder, and I hadn't worked up a sweat from doing anything yet.

[sigh] Dark shoes, white socks. The bane of my existence...
So far if the only criticism is the colour of my socks, I guess I'm doing alright lol. I've never had the best fashion sense. Those are my fancy Mohair/wool socks my wife got me. Very soft, warm, and come up to my knees. Love them for ice fishing. :D

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
ndqBAWll.jpg

HGV0Tdbl.jpg

That's a wrap. Honestly I think I have the same amount of time writing and editing my posts than I did in making the repairs. You can tell which subjects I excelled at in school.....It sure wasn't english.....;).

Thanks for looking. I'll ask the wife to get me different colours of these socks for next year. I always forget, do you match them to the shoes, or the belt? :D.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
There is something funky going on with my old Toro push blower. It might be a cracked or broken bracket too. It doesn't want to stay level. At first I thought it was tire pressure, then a skid plate. None of the above.

You are giving me an excuse to have a good close look at it the next time the geriatric nurse goes to town.....
With the thin gauge metal these are made of there's probably a good chance yours is like this one.

I might look for an old Ariens or other heavier built one to rebuild over the summer. A little one walk behind is still handy to have around. Kinda wish I didn't get rid of the old hand me down Roper my Dad gave me when we first moved out here. It always needed a lot of loving, and was quite a franken blower too, but the steel on it was much beefier than these new ones. The more I think about it a ground up restoration of an older one like that might be a good near future project....hmmm...