The Big Lathe

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am employed by a corporation that oversees several subsidiary entities. Recently, I had the chance to visit one of these subsidiaries and was truly fascinated by a massive vertical lathe I encountered during my tour. I managed to snap a photo of it, with me standing on the chuck to give a sense of scale. I admit, my knowledge about this machinery is limited, but I was told it has an 8-foot deep pit beneath it to accommodate lengthy parts, and it operates at a slow pace. The sheer size and mechanism of it were quite impressive!

Attachments

• 20231102_114300.jpg
    20231102_114300.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 53

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Those big green arms.. I think each one holds a cutter? But what are the pulleys with cables for? To the right there is another part of the machine judging by the colour and the similar pulleys. What is that for? Any idea @Alexander ?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Those big green arms.. I think each one holds a cutter? But what are the pulleys with cables for? To the right there is another part of the machine judging by the colour and the similar pulleys. What is that for? Any idea @Alexander ?
I'm guessing that's how you adjust the cutter arms inward???

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Both sides also have a set of handles for adjustment of something. Is this a pattern following lathe? Some of those old machines are a marvel of mechanical automation.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
25HP geared down to 15 RPM, 48” chuck.
I did notice this one had gears from 1.1 up to 26, I hope that isn't RPM. But it might be.

Those big green arms.. I think each one holds a cutter?

Yeah I can confirm a huge half inch inscribed circle TNMG was welded to about a 3 inch block in one arm. The other arm had a slightly different CNMG cutter in it.