• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tentatively Sold - Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. CT042 14" x 40" lathe / coolant system & foot brake

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
My brother is selling his newly acquired and almost unused lathe. He is offering it to CHMW members for ONLY exactly what we was paid for it in advance of listing it on kijiji.

That is already a very good deal.

PLUS as a bonus for CHMW members he will throw in new BXA piston type quick change tool post, ~6 tool holders and an indexable turning tool set with retail value of $425.

Here is a screenshot of the final sale price and applicable fees he paid. The no haggle CHMW member price is $4190.00 CAD

We won't be moving lathes for about 4 weeks hopefully in better weather. I will give CHMW members some time before I must list it on kijiji at which point the price will increase.

1678669151056.png

Here is the link for people with trust issues who want to independently verify the sale price.

Also, on the GovDeals website you can see the reason we got such a good deal was that the lathe looked filthy. it could not be tested under power at all and the lathe was listed as not having any accessories.

However, when we did physical inspection prior to the close of the auction we found that it came with $1000 worth of unlisted accessories.
A 4 jaw chuck, a face plate, a follow , a steady rest, a MT5 to MT3 adapter, dead centers, change gears, micrometer carriage stop, and the "missing outside jaws for the 3 jaw chuck that was mounted on the lathe. It will come with the supplied tool post as well.

So why the hell would we sell the lathe AND toss in the extra BXA tooling at a loss?

Because my brother just bought a Colchester Master 2500 lathe, so the CT42 is now surplus along with the BXA post and holders. We are fair people who like to help other hobbyists and not in the machine tool business trying to profit off of fellow hobbyists. We just want to pass along a decent lathe at the same good price we bought it for, to someone who will appreciate it.

But wait, can't we use the BXA tool post and holders on this Colchester lathe you ask?

Well sure, but that would be a waste since the Colchester lathe he just bought comes with a "Rapid Original" Type A Dickson Clone tool post and about 6 holders, which happens to be the same size as the 19 Dickson tool holders I bought in early December thanks to a tip here thanks to @DmechDesign. We are making this offer here first to CHMW as a way to pay it forward.

So our gain means we can help someone else get a nice deal. We could sell that tool post, holders and the indexable tools separately but we need to move this lathe out in a timely fashion so it also it makes sense to have this as an added incentive too.

pictures coming soon, questions happily answered.

From the original sale site, covered in diesel exhaust soot:

7550_348_1.jpg

7550_348_4.jpg

7550_348_2.jpg

7550_348_3.jpg

Cleaned up as it sits at my brother's shop:

IMG_20230312_213142.jpg

The backsplash is off to clean it and the rest of the lathe only, there is nothing wrong with it or the mounts for it.

IMG_20230312_213146.jpg

IMG_20230312_212913.jpg

IMG_20230312_212846.jpg

IMG_20230312_212824.jpg

IMG_20230312_212842.jpg

IMG_20230312_212642.jpg

IMG_20230312_212633.jpg

IMG_20230312_212705.jpg

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
NOTE:

I made a mistake in the above ad. I quoted the value of the QCTP based on the AXA pricing but this is a BXA set plus a few holders and tools bought separately. The retail value is higher than stated.

Upper left, change gears. Green item just to the right of the gears is the micrometer carriage stop. Then two dead centers. The original tool post, the MT5 to MT3 adapter, left and right 5/8 indexable tools, left and right 1/2" indexable tools. Allen key for the tools.

The next row down, outside jaws for the 3 jaw chuck, then the Accusize Industrial Tools BXA 6 pcs Piston Type Tool Post Set

comprised of 1 piece of each:

0250-0200 mounted on cross slide of the lathe,

31kNWt6b4sL._AC_.jpg

0250-0201, 5/8" holder

41ptaAhVf8L._AC_.jpg

0250-0202, looks just like 0201 also 5/8"

0250-0204, 7/8'' Heavy Duty Boring Bar Holder
61TEMhiymNL._SL1500_.jpg

0250-0207, Universal Parting Blade Holder Style 7 for 11/16 Blades

41B+6xhZHfL.jpg

0250-0210, 5/8'' Knurling, Turning and Facing Quick Change Tool Holder

31xlLUdQH+L.jpg

AND two extra straight holders which I don know the size of;

a parting blade holder that fits any of the straight tool holders, shown between the boring bar holder and the other parting blade holder;

and rotating 6 head knurling tool that fits any of the straight holders.

You can come test the lathe and any of the tooling you wish.

IMG_20230312_212705.jpg

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
addendum:

I'm sure that everyone here knows this already but the main specifications that make this a dream hobbyist's lathe are the 240 volt single phase 3 HP motor, the full flood coolant system AND the added safety of an emergency foot brake, and the D1-4 camlock chuck mount.

The swing over the bed is 14" while the swing over the cross slide is 8-5/8" and the swing over the 9-3/8" gap is a massive 20". if you're a steam enthusiast who want to turn big fly wheels this is a great choice for such projects. The distance between centers is of course a full 40". The spindle has a generous 1 1/2" thru hole, and MT5 taper.

This lathe has only a slightly larger footprint than the 12" x 36" belt drive lathe that we purchased it to replace, however at 1650 pounds this lathe weighs about 750 pounds more than the 902 pound 12" x 36" belt drive lathe. The extra weight translates to more rigidity and greater vibration dampening and the results in the quality of the work really showed when I made the new shaft for the variator of my Chipmaster lathe. For being almost double the weight this lathe is much easier to move due to better weight distribution and two built in lifting holes. It can be hoisted using any one ton capacity equipment.

Our new lathe does not arrive for over a month so a purchaser does not need to worry about having a clear location to move this lathe to immediately but we don't expect this deal to last long, We will only hold the lathe for someone who is a well known member who leaves a deposit or someone who comes and inspects the lathe and leaves us all their contact details and a cash deposit. Delivery/pickup details may be worked out at a later date.

Or you can come take it away this weekend if you like.

I figure a couple of days advance notice is enough for an interested forum member to see this post and contact me before we go out to kijiji.

Last edited: