Taps for Grub/Set Screws

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Picked up a grub/set screw assortment set for PA quite some time ago. I'm finding I can't use 1/2 of them due to not having taps that match their size and TPI.

Are any of the following equivalent to numbered screws or metric screws?

5/32 - 32
1/8 - 40
3/8 - 24 Fine
3/16 - 24
5/16 - 24 Fine
1/4 - 28

Thanks,

Craig

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Were those labels on the box or are you measuring the thread OD & wondering what corresponds?
This shows many of the common numbered sizes from #0-10. After #10 it starts going fractional in the IMP system.
The pitches look normal.
The taps you can get at any machining supplier like KBC.

Attachments

• starrett-inch-metric-tap-drill.pdf
    178.6 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm guessing its a Chenglish issue. You see weird stuff like this on occasion with import stuff. Or decimal metric drills that are in fact IMP. I'm guessing they went on their own 'helpful' conversion tangent without really consulting a standards table. 1/8 = somewhat close to #8. 5/32 = somewhat close to #10....

Just thread them into some common known nuts, see if the fit.

Attachments

• SNAG-3-22-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-3-22-2020 0000.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-3-22-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-3-22-2020 0001.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
3/16 -24 is a #10

5/32 - 24 is a #8

1/8 - 40 is a #5

The rest are normal threads the 1/4” is also NF.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never even heard of them before. How is that possible? LOL Good tip Rudy.
Thomas Skinner & DMH are 2 others in Calgary, both have many good tap brand names. Might want to call ahead in these crazy minimized in-person exposure times though.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Little Machine Shop has several good pages of information about threads and standards. There is a printable chart showing UNC and UNF from #0 to 1 inch:

https://littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapdrill.php

The chart also shows free fit and close fit clearance hole sizes, which I find handy.

Then, if you really want to go down the rabbit hole, they have several pages with information about screw thread history, acme threads, etc:

https://littlemachineshop.com/info/business_resources.php?ID=1876291692&CAT=1

Craig in Oakville

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
yest... that's ACT.

...One word of caution: they sell very good stuff. their counter staff is mostly incompetent, at least in Calgary. I now order stuff using the Manufacturer's model number, so when they get it wrong, it';s up to them to get the right one.

I've had a few problems. but especially for the taps, they're the only game in town.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never even heard of them before. How is that possible? LOL Good tip Rudy.
Thomas Skinner & DMH are 2 others in Calgary, both have many good tap brand names. Might want to call ahead in these crazy minimized in-person exposure times though.
If you mean Greggs distributing that you've never heard of Peter, then you should check them out. Take a gander through one of the HUGE product catalogs they have. When I do that I all of a sudden I see things that I think I should have that I hardly knew existed beforehand.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re Greggs, is it possible to view prices by inputting a part number in somewhere or do you need to call? I tried uploading into shopping cart to see if that would expose price but no go.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Peter, I have not used the online (shopping cart) option ever. If you call them (with catalogue numbers if you already know), and the company name (if you have one - no problems if you don’t as they sell to anyone) they can give you the price and where they have stock. A lot of times I just walk in one of their branches.